ForumsQuestionsSeparating home and work

Separating home and work
robert.vankooten_2

Posted: Jan 11, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
First off, thanks for the amazing tools you guys provide! When I started using this tool after a recommendation in a book (How to be a productivity ninja by Graham Allcott) about a year or two ago you had a great tool but a bit archaic and basic, but the updates in recent times have really taken it forward and I can't imagine using any other tool nowadays!

Anyway, on to the question.

I mainly use Toodledo for my work life. I have some tasks for home and always manually hide them by collapsing the folder when I use it in work. I now want to use it more for home including goals and such. Is there any way to separate the two so I don't get home goals in work or work goals at home?

I considered just signing up with another e-mail address for home, but I'm a paid subscriber on this account so would lose the benefits, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to constantly sign out and back in on the app on my phone.

Thanks,
Rob
alexandremrj_2

Hello Rob,

There are a couple of ways that you can do this, but without knowing your system some of them may apply while others may be a complete miss. But the data is always there, it will be in a different window or hidden.

If you are following GTD then you can set up different contexts, some for home, some for work, and you will use the context view, selecting the one that applies to your current situation.

If you don't follow GTD, and you are not using contexts, then you can use this field with "Home" and "Work" and then sort by context and hide the one you don't want. Or you can do the same using the field "Location" hiding all of those that don't matter.

You can use the above but with a saved search, and that way there is no hiding, and you work inside the saved view.

Hope this helps

Alex
Adrien Beau

Posted by robert.vankooten_2:
Is there any way to separate the two so I don't get home goals in work or work goals at home?

This depends on whether you want to be very strict with this separation, or can accept that sometimes you will have a glimpse of home tasks at work, and work tasks at home. I am not strict about that.

I have two tags that I use systematically when creating tasks: one is "perso" for personal tasks, one is "pro" for work-related tasks. (The tag view helps me find the very rare tasks that manages to slip through my tagging: it has a "No Tag" list.) I have set up custom searches to only list tasks with "pro" or "perso" tags (plus some other criteria, because I have several companies to care for on a professional level, and several homes to maintain on a personal level; I use contexts and folders for those).

The advantage of using tags is that some tasks can have both tags, for example vacation planning which is both personal and professional.
robert.vankooten_2

Posted: Jan 13, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I do use contexts already for something different. I've considered the locations with custom filters which could work. This would work for task views, but is there any way to filter goals? Also is it possible to automatically add a location to tasks?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.