ForumsQuestionsPlease allow user to still keep the "old note behavior".

Please allow user to still keep the "old note behavior".
Long Vu

Posted: Mar 22, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
The new note layout (click to edit, search all content at once) has been rolled out for a few days.

I actually prefer the old layout/behavior, here is why:

- most of the time, I just want to copy/paste my note, not edit it. But if I miss click, it'll put me in edit mode and I can accidentally modify my note. With the old behavior, I stay in read-only mode until I explicitly click on "edit".

- when searching, I actually like it that it first search *only* the note title and then, if I need, also search note content. I write my note title carefully so I can find them later. So searching the content immediately will return too many false positive unrelated results, aka spam.

So for these above reasons, please have an option for users to still keep the old behavior. I am okay with the new look and feel, I just prefer the old "behavior".

Thanks.
Salgud

Posted by Long Vu:
The new note layout (click to edit, search all content at once) has been rolled out for a few days.

I actually prefer the old layout/behavior, here is why:

- most of the time, I just want to copy/paste my note, not edit it. But if I miss click, it'll put me in edit mode and I can accidentally modify my note. With the old behavior, I stay in read-only mode until I explicitly click on "edit".

- when searching, I actually like it that it first search *only* the note title and then, if I need, also search note content. I write my note title carefully so I can find them later. So searching the content immediately will return too many false positive unrelated results, aka spam.

So for these above reasons, please have an option for users to still keep the old behavior. I am okay with the new look and feel, I just prefer the old "behavior".

Thanks.

Have you considered the fact that if they keep the old version, they now have to maintain 2 versions of the Notes feature. Of course, when the new task management interface went into effect, a few people wanted to keep the old. This is the perpetual issue of the software developer. Some will always want to keep the old version. Which means that after a view years, they're keeping 3 or 4 old versions, and every time they update, they just add another. And new users coming aboard have to figure out which of the many versions they want. In some places, this is called "Android". :)

Unfortunately for some, software must move forward.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I understand your two points. Here is my feedback.

1) You can still select text and copy and paste without entering edit mode. If you accidentally click instead of click+drag to select text, you will enter edit mode where you can continue to select text and copy/paste. There is no worry of accidentally editing your note because you have to click the "Save" button for any of the edits to become permanent. So even if you accidentally edited the note when you were trying to copy/paste, those edits won't be saved.

2) Currently, when you do a search, it shows the matching notes sorted by however you have them sorted. I think what we may do in the future is to instead sort the found notes by "relevance" and if the search matched the title it would have more relevance than if the search matched the contents. This would make notes with a matching title appear closer to the top, which I think will make it similar to what you want, while still keeping the improved search for everyone else.
Long Vu

Posted: Mar 23, 2016
Posted by Salgud:

Unfortunately for some, software must move forward.

Totally agree with this statement. Software must move forward ... if done right and do not leave old loyal users in the cold.

Let's take a concrete example. You own a bunch of old but completely functional USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices. They can still be plugged into USB 3.0 and working fine, simply at lower speed per 1.1 and 2.0 specifications, so you do not have to throw these old USB devices to the garbage.

I'd say this is improvement done right.

Understandably, this can not go on forever and USB-C will break that backward compatibility but at least it shows some effort has been made and we have been able to enjoy this backward compatibility for a while.
Long Vu

Posted: Mar 23, 2016
Posted by Jake:
1) You can still select text and copy and paste without entering edit mode. If you accidentally click instead of click+drag to select text, you will enter edit mode where you can continue to select text and copy/paste. There is no worry of accidentally editing your note because you have to click the "Save" button for any of the edits to become permanent. So even if you accidentally edited the note when you were trying to copy/paste, those edits won't be saved.

Agreed, this an acceptable work-around but now it'll cost an additional "click to cancel edit mode" after a miss-click. I guess I'll slowly get used to be more precise with my mouse.

2) Currently, when you do a search, it shows the matching notes sorted by however you have them sorted. I think what we may do in the future is to instead sort the found notes by "relevance" and if the search matched the title it would have more relevance than if the search matched the contents. This would make notes with a matching title appear closer to the top, which I think will make it similar to what you want, while still keeping the improved search for everyone else.

Agreed, with sort by relevance and give title match higher relevance will solve my "false positive search result" problem.

For users with lots of notes like me, relevant search result is crucial. Thanks for finding this alternative.
Long Vu

Posted: Mar 28, 2016
Posted by Long Vu:
Posted by Jake:

Agreed, this an acceptable work-around but now it'll cost an additional "click to cancel edit mode" after a miss-click. I guess I'll slowly get used to be more precise with my mouse.

One of the reason I "miss-click a lot and put me in edit mode when I only want to read my note" is because PgUp/PgDown do not work anymore in the new layout !

When I have a long note, I have to use the mouse to scroll now ! As a heavy keyboard user, this is pretty annoying. Please restore PgUp and PgDown to scroll the notes in the new note layout.

Looks like the same regression (lost Arrow/Page Up/Down when new tasklist layout was released), see https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/21313/-98007/read.html#jump

This message was edited Mar 28, 2016.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 28, 2016
Yes, we will fix pageup/pagedwn.
Long Vu

Posted: Mar 31, 2016
Posted by Jake:
Yes, we will fix pageup/pagedwn.

Confirmed Page Up/Down fixed. Thanks.
Long Vu

Posted: May 02, 2016
Sorry to revive an old thread but it's related.

Is it possible to also enable Arrow Up/Down, in addition to Page Up/Down, to scroll long notes? Will help me make less "miss-click" that put me in edit mode when I do not actually want to edit.

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 03, 2016
We'll look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.