ForumsQuestionsRepeating Tasks: how to temporarily move forward?

Repeating Tasks: how to temporarily move forward?
snivelyjay

Posted: Apr 15, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
I have a Task that repeats on the 12th of each month for a task that I need to complete by the 15th.

If the 12th of the month arrives and I want to move that Task ahead one day without cancelling the Repeat feature, how do I do that?

I tried this on my own to see if it would work, but the Repeat feature doesn't indicate what date the Tasks repeats. If the date of repeat was displayed somewhere (and it may be, I just can't find it) I would have verification that the Task was indeed going to appear the next month on the date I need it to.

Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you move the task to the 13th then all future versions of the task will repeat from the 13th unless you set it back to the 12th. I recommend that you just allow the task to be overdue by 1 day. An alternative is to clone the task, complete the original and then move the clone to the 13th and set it to not repeat. That way your original will still be repeating from the 12th and this one copy will be on the 13th.
Salgud

It seems to me that this is a good place for an improvement. I think many users would like to have TD query when you alter a due date for a repeating task, asking if you want this to change the repeating base date or not. Doesn't seem like a lot of coding here (correct me if I'm wrong) that would yield a significant benefit to virtually all users. And maybe an on/off switch in the Settings for those who don't want this feature.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, it would be nice to temporarily reschedule a repeating task and then have it resume its normal schedule after completion. This is on our todo list, but it is not an easy thing.
Salgud

Thanks for the reply, Jake.
amf4

Posted: Apr 25, 2016
I'll often mark repeating tasks as complete, refresh, then go mark them as incomplete again. That makes the repeat move to the next instance and leaves me with an editable task to work with.

I've got a bunch of tasks which repeat every week, and I've actually reached the point where I go through at the beginning of the week via a pair of saved searches (one for all but the parent tasks, then one for just the parent tasks, so I get all the pieces when I'm done), mark everything complete, then via a third saved search for things completed today, mark everything as incomplete again. It lets me edit tasks as the week goes on as I need.

Note that this strategy only works for tasks that repeat from their due date, so if you have any that should repeat from their completion date, I suggest putting a tag on them that you can exclude in your searches.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.