ForumsQuestionsHow do the new push notifications work?

How do the new push notifications work?
littlebonanzajoe

Posted: Jul 21, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Here is how I was aple to reproduce my problem with push notifications.

1. I setup my Iphone for push (work with theree other apps perfectly)

2. I checked the timezones and push settings on toodledo. Iphone appeared in the list for notifications devices. I've choosen Iphone and saved changes.

3. Time is 10:15. I set up a todo item due on 11:30 with reminder 1 hour before. 15mins later I received the push notification and I answered this notification with "show" so that the app is started up. I quit the app. All fine. A a precaution I went into the setting on Toodledo.com to see if iPhone is still set as the notification device. It was. So all perfect.

4. Time is 10:35. I set up two other todos, one due at 11:50 another one due at 12:00, each set to remind 1 hour before. After 15mins I received another push note, but this time I justed closed it. I waited for the second push note but nothing happend. I gave it a little more time but still nothing. I went to the settings page on toodledo.com and Iphone dissapeard from the list of notefications devices.

Conclusion: It looks like each time you just close a push notification, it kills toodledos permission to send further push notes. If you open up the app from the push note instead the permission gets renewed somehow.

Does this make sense?
Can anybody try to reproduce the scenario above?

Testequipment: iPhone 3GS, OS3.0, non jailbroken, natively unlocked (purchased from Apple in Italy)
littlebonanzajoe

I have to answer myself again ;-)
I've just tried to repeat the above test - failed. After I setup todos on toodledo.com I checked on the notifier page - iPhone gone :-(

Sorry I give up in finding out whats going on here....

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009.
ablank

I've got exactly the same (as littlebananzajoe) setup and unfortunately the same problems. Push notifications generally work (with Beejive for example) and they are enabled on my iPhone for Toodledo. Today I tought I want to test this feature but I didn't recieve a notification..

The strange thing was I didn't get an email too, this worked without any problems in the past.

Are there some general issues with notifications?

Anders

Notifications continue to work for me whether I open the task or close the notification, so I don't think that is it. My email notifications have also been working without any problem. If you could possibly provide more specifics about what you are doing, it might help clarify the situation.
littlebonanzajoe

Anders,
I believe we should find out what is removing the iPhone from the list of notification devices. Bringing it back needs a start of the app on the phone.
thpope

I can't replicate the problem of iPhone being removed from notifications. I've been getting emails normally and they've seemed consistent. The push notifications are also happening mostly. If I set up tasks with reminders close together, then I don't always get the push notification for some.

I do have flaky things happening with os 3.0 that I hope apple fixes with 3.1.
Anders

I agree. All I was saying was that it is not being removes for me, even if I dismiss a reminder. My guess is that it must be some kind of network issue, but I really don't know. Perhaps Toodledo has some idea.
ablank

Hi Anders,

It's very strange yes... I provide here as lot as possible information:

My setup:

Device: iPhone 3G S, 32 GB Version, jailbroken with Purplera1n RC 2, valid activation from my carrier
Carrier: Orange (Switzerland)
Internet Conntection: 3G and WLAN (both connections tested, they work)

Task: Set up a task with a due time at 17:30 for today the 21st july 2009. "Remind me" is activated and set to "15 Minutes before". So far so good, but I still don't get reminders... So I should recieve a notification by mail AND push at 17:15 (or 5:15 pm if you like), right?

Here are sceenshots of the important stuff:

Settings at toodledo.com:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4493/reminders.jpg

Push notification setup @ my iPhone:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6761/notification1.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4636/notification2.jpg

Proove that push works:
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/1055/pushnotification.jpg

Do you have any idea? What information can I provide additionaly?

Best regards,
Andy

Anders

I have a feeling being a JB phone is probably the problem. I know Push isn't supposed to work well if at all on JB phones, but then again you say Beejive Push is working, so that is perplexing.
littlebonanzajoe

Anders,

1. I don't have a JB phone.

2. all other push app work fine.

All what I can say from my tests over the day is this:
After you've set iPhone as notification device, this setting vanished within 30 mins or so. To reactivate it, you have to start Toodledo App on the iPhone, let it sync and then re-enter the settings page on Toodledo.com, choose iPhone and save it.

It should be possible for you guys to investigate on that basis. I does not make sense setting up more tests with push noted todos with the knowlegde in mind that the setting is vanishing anyway.

Jake

Toodledo Founder
There is something else going on here. I'm still not sure I understand why this is happening, but I'll explain how Apple's technology works. When we want to send a reminder, we connect to Apple's servers and send the message. It is Apple's responsibility to then send the message to your iPhone. If Apple is unable to get the message to your phone, Apple comes back and tells us "Hey, that phone doesn't exist, or they have uninstalled your app, so stop sending reminders to that phone." When we receive that warning, we remove your iPhone from being able to get reminders (as per Apple's requirements).

The next time you launch Toodledo on your iPhone, it re-registers with us and re-enables push notifications until we get that warning again from Apple. So, it appears like you are re-registering and then un-registering over and over again.

I don't know why Apple is sending us the removal request for your phone. It sounds like an Apple bug. It is only supposed to happen if you uninstall the app or if you cancel your cellphone service. It also happens for Jailbroken phones or phones that have been unlocked to run on a different carrier, because Apple is doesn't like you to do that.
littlebonanzajoe

Thanks for explaining the whole process. That helps a lot to understand the problem. It sounds all resonable. What remains strange is the fact, that other push services keep on working. Maybe they just don't follow Apple warning to stop sending push notes.

Maybe other users with locked and non JB phones can share their experience here. My phone is non JB but natively unlocked (by Apple). Maybe such phone falls under Apples category "unlocked phone" and that's why I'm having these problems - but only with Toodledo...

It doesn't make sense, but that's all what we have right know until somebody else can tell us something.
ablank

I don't want to get annoying but I don't think the JB is the problem. As I know - and I know a lot of the iPhone scene - only unofficial unlocked iPhones get problems with push notification. Push works with multiple applications and for example with Beejive I recieve the push notifcation near instantly (delay under 1s). And if this would be a problem, why do I don't get the email reminder? This worked without any problem, and I triple checked my spam filters. Now it doesn't work.

Is there any possiblity to provide more (perhaps debug) information? Toodledo is my most important application on my iPhone...

Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 22, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
If you are not getting the email reminder, then it is definitely not an Apple issue, but either

1) Not setting up reminders correctly
2) Toodledo bug.

Please double check that the task you want the reminder for has a due-date, due-time and has the "remind me" checkbox checked. Also check that your timezone is set correctly in your account settings.
ablank

It works (push and mail)!!!!!! The timezone was the problem, sorry for doesn't checking this exactly enough. My tests were in the near future so the task was everytime overdue and couldn't trigger the notification to send out. Thanks again for your great support and superb service you provide :)

One little question: Is it normal that you send the notifications a few minutes before the alarm should occure? For example: When I set up a due time to 8:40 am and the alarm to "15 minutes before" I get the push notification at about 8:20 and the email at about 8:23. I think you do this to get as possible near to the "right" alarm time and provide stable notifications in this way?
littlebonanzajoe

Timezone is correct in my account settings.
I believe someting at Toodledo deactivates the iPhone as a notification device and it's not Apple. Yesterday I left the settings page with iPhone activated. I haven't set any push notes in the meantime. This morning I went back in into the setting and guess what? Right, iPhone dissapeared from the list.

To verfiy that, I'm starting tests with email notifications.
Anders

Posted by andy.blank:
One little question: Is it normal that you send the notifications a few minutes before the alarm should occure?

Yes, reminders should be received within 5 minutes of your set lead time. Mine always come 4 minutes early.
ablank

Thanks for the info :) Better early than late...
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.