ForumsQuestionsTasks that are only relevant during certain times of the year?

Tasks that are only relevant during certain times of the year?
r.hoffmann

Posted: Oct 15, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
I live in Wisconsin which means we only get warm weather for about 2 weeks out of the year (ok maybe a couple months). There are certain tasks that I have to repeat during the summer months on a weekly and monthly basis around the house. Is there a way to make tasks that only repeat during a certain timeframe? Example...

In summer I need to replace the fly killing spray in our garage every 30 days but I don't have to do that once it gets cold on a regular basis. Is there a way to avoid having to reset the recurrence at the end of the season?

I want to be reminded to spray weeds on a regular basis but once again I only need to do this for a certain number of months.

Thank you!
Olivir2015

Posted: Oct 17, 2016
An idea how to achieve something like that: Make a template task (e.g. in Templates folder) with just Repeat: Weekly or Daily or whatever, but no dates. When the warm days start, clone the task template and make that the active task. When the warmth season ends, just set Repeat to None and complete the task for the last time.

Or maybe create the repeating task in advance, but with Start Date set up.

Or perhaps even make a yearly repeating task due on the first day of the season like "Start the Replace the spray repeating task for this season" to remember to clone the template or create the new task for this season.
Michael_49

I have seasonal chores too. Here's what I do...
1) In Notes, I make a list of tasks stacked one on top of the other.
2) When it's time to load all those tasks for the specific season, I copy them
3) I create a new task, click on the "Add multiple Tasks" hyperlink
4) Paste them into a new task and click accept. Now I just created 15 seasonal tasks.

I'll also use a symbol like ">" so I know that task is a special one I added in a certain way. Here's an example of mine. I also use a header to identify each season.

WINTER TASKS
>XMAS lights DOWN-Jan
>XMAS tree & decorations DOWN-Jan
>FURNACE Clean & Check
>TREE Prune Front Tree-March
>Humidifier setup Ours-Dec
>BUSHES (north) trim-Feb/March
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Another way to do it would be to set the task to "-1 Negative Priority" when the cold weather happens and then use the filters to hide these. When warm weather comes around again, set the priority back to positive and the tasks will be visible again. You could do this with batch edit in one step.

You could also do this with the tag filter by giving each of these tasks a tag of "summer" and then filtering them out during the winter.

You will also need to reset the due-dates each season, but this takes only a moment.
coolexplorer

Posted by Jake:
Another way to do it would be to set the task to "-1 Negative Priority" when the cold weather happens and then use the filters to hide these. When warm weather comes around again, set the priority back to positive and the tasks will be visible again. You could do this with batch edit in one step.

You could also do this with the tag filter by giving each of these tasks a tag of "summer" and then filtering them out during the winter.

You will also need to reset the due-dates each season, but this takes only a moment.

Yes I have lot of sub-task checklists marked with negative priority which I surface when I travel to my country home or when I have a particular project that surfaces once or twice a year. It works well.

I even have my travel list and medical kit in sub-task checklists marked with negative priority, as my third party android app UTDL does not show TD lists.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2016.
r.hoffmann

Posted: Oct 26, 2016
Thank you all for the responses. Sorry it took so long to respond. I thought I might get an email notification when someone responded to this post. ;)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.