ForumsQuestionsCan I link tasks?

Can I link tasks?
pvsk77m

Posted: Jul 06, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Is there a way I can link tasks in a way to sequence them. FOr example 1)Do task A and then 2) Do task B. No complicated project management type task dependency just a simple attribute to identify the next task.
Anders

Posted: Jul 06, 2009
That cannot be done, but it has been suggested before. Search the forum for task dependencies and you will find a couple of threads on the topic. I believe it is on Toodledo's to do list.
kleerkoat

Posted: Jul 07, 2009
what about using goals?
Anders

Ryan, would you mind elaborating. I haven't started with Goals yet, but am trying to figure out exactly how I want to use them. If you are using them for something like this, I would be interested to hear how.
Linden

On the rare occasion that I need ordering in my subtasks, I put a number at the front of the task name.

I use this in combination with the status: "Next Action" for tasks I can do now and "Hold" for tasks waiting for an earlier one to be completed.

EDIT: In case it was unclear, I'll specify that I do this for subtasks where the parent is a task that has multiple steps that need to be done in a particular order.

This message was edited Jul 07, 2009.
Proximo

@Linden,

I know several people are using similar tactics and some are using tag's to sequence their task.

If you use the task title, how are you sorting?

first criteria, second criteria and third criteria?

Thanks
Linden

@Proximo,

I edit the task title directly.

My sorting order sometimes varies, but it's often by importance or due date. Lately, I've also been using the "all goals/contexts" views, and sorting by goal or context with collapsed dividers so I can see my >9 headings on one page.

So, to address what I suspect is your real question, the tasks aren't necessarily appearing in order on my default lists.

I often click the subtask icon to call up a full list for a project, if it's a non-trivial task, which summons the parent task to that point in the list and usually sorts the subtasks alphabetically by default.

As with so many Toodledo features, the usefulness of this workaround may vary dramatically depending on how someone is using the system. But I thought it might be useful for the OP who didn't seem to need something super-sophisticated. :)
Tyler

Posted: Jul 13, 2009
On the rare occasion that I need ordering in my subtasks, I put a number at the front of the task name.

Would be useful to have some kind of automated behavior for this kind of thing. E.g. an option to automatically apply editable list numbers to subtasks.

But perhaps even more useful would be some kind of repository of frequently used prefixes for task titles (and the ability to add them in bulk). That would accommodate many different systems of using labels in the actual task title (e.g. "Project:" etc.)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.