ForumsQuestionsShopping list ?

Shopping list ?
Ummagumma

Posted: Dec 23, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
How do you maintain your shopping list ?

Until recently I've been using Google Keep for that, just because it's so easy. But I would like to be able to use locations and context.

The thing is, I don't want items on my shopping list to show up in my regular task list & create additional clutter.

So, I can have a separate folder called "Shopping" or I can assign a "Shopping" category to my items.

Seems both methods have their pros and cons.

What do you use ?
Sabina A.

Posted: Dec 27, 2016
Hello,

You can use contexts or tags for your shopping items and then hide them with filters. However, I would recommend using the Lists section for this, which will completely separate them from tasks. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Lists: http://www.toodledo.com/tools/alarms.php

Filters: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#65
Salgud

If you're going to do an ad hoc shopping list each week, then TD Lists will work fine. If you prefer to make a master list, then check-off items you need this week, along with separate lists for different stores and many other shopping list features, I suggest you look at Grocery Gadget. Works great.
Ummagumma

Thanks.

I don't think lists would work, to be honest. Sometimes I need a shopping task to show up in calendar (most of the time I don't). I would also like to try using the location-based reminders with PI, for when I am at a particular store.
Joyce

I use tasks that way to remind me to fetch odd items, for example, a reminder to look for a thing in Target or Penneys, I use a mac/iOS based program for my primary grocery list because it meets most of my needs and it populates my list with the items I need to make a given meal.

Do you plan your meals out? Like I buy the foods I need for 5 dinners plus the stuff we need for lunches and breakfasts, these are in what I call my par list. I do need to check what I have against my par list and edit it that way. Or are you more random than that?

Do you have a semi static list you buy each week?
jhk_2

Posted: Dec 31, 2016
I've been using Toodledo for a shopping list. I typically generate the list on my computer and then use it on my android phone. It is very convenient and helpful but I have one problem. When I use the app to access the list it opens to the default task list (which I use for work project management), I then navigate to the "List" menu and choose "Grocery List". It will stay open until the screen saver kicks in. When I go back to refer to the list again it goes back to the "List of lists" and I need to choose "Grocery List" again. This is SUPER irritating! I'm not sure if this is an android thing or a Toodledo thing. I either need to keep the current list (task, etc) open after the screen saver or be able to set different default screens on different devices. Is This possible? If not, any work around?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 03, 2017
I am sorry for the inconvenience. We will look into this.
jhk_2

Posted: Jan 07, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
I do use tags to identify the various stores, ie: CVS, Targets, Wegmans. I can then do a sort by tags to create a mini list by stores. This all works fine. My compliant is that the list does does not reopen at the same place after the screen saver goes off. It is a pain to keep navigating back to the shopping list. I am not a programmer, but this strikes me as a fairly simple task.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Jan 07, 2017
Posted by jhk_2:
My compliant is that the list does does not reopen at the same place after the screen saver goes off. It is a pain to keep navigating back to the shopping list. I am not a programmer, but this strikes me as a fairly simple task.

Yes, it's extremaly annoying. The same for Outlines. I can't understand why it has to go back to main screen each time.
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 08, 2017
Instead of using different tabs (Lists, Outlines, etc.) I use only the TD Task tab for everything. This is how I use it for my shopping list :

1. I use 'Custom Saved Searches' both on TD Web and the Android app ("Ultimate ToDo List").
2. I made a parent "Shopping list".
3. Under the parent I made a master shopping list of frequently repurchased items as subtasks.
4. All are given the context Buy and the location "Phone" or "Outdoor" (I use the Location function not for actual geographical locations, but for doing contexts.
5. All are marked priority "Negative" or Low if you choose i.e. an inactive template of things to be purchased regularly.
6. When I want to remind myself to purchase something I just check my Shopping List 'Custom Saved Search' and star those items I need.
7. Some one time items I just add under Buy and star it and later delete after purchasing.
8. The 'star' is like magic and puts it in my Today Hotlist no matter the priority.
9. After I purchase the item, I 'unstar' it, and it recedes into the background (out of view) to fight another day.

Kindly let me know if there is a better way to have a shopping list in my main Tasks tab. I am sure there must be.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.