ForumsQuestionsFloating Repeating Tasks - Optional Start Date?

Floating Repeating Tasks - Optional Start Date?
Alisa

Posted: Jul 12, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I can set a due date as optional which is great for those daily repeats that I don't get to at times. I read that we can also have a repeat from a start date but there is no way to set this as optional. Will the repeat behave the same as the optional due date? Will a task that starts today just float to tomorrow and have a start date of tomorrow if not completed today?
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
This is a good question. If you have a repeating task, in general, repeat from Start Date or from Due Date should make little difference, since if the task has both types of date, the other will be regenerated with the same amount of time between it and the repeat from date (repeat from completion date is, of course, different). However, the behavior of optional repeating tasks is unusual. They are the only tasks, which do not have to be marked complete in order for the next occurance to be generated. So, I know, if you have an optional daily repeating task repeating from Due Date, it will regenerate each day regardless of whether or not it was completed the previous day. However, I am not sure if this will happen if you have it set to repeat from Start Date. Of course, there is really no reason to use repeat from Start Date unless the task has no Due Date, but I might try this out just to find out what will happen.
Alisa

Thanks Anders. Actually when I put the question mark in front of the due date of a repeating event they don't back up if not completed. The one not completed just drops off and the next due date appears.
Anders

Yes, if you have the optional (?) modifier on a Due Date, the task will disappear after that date. If it is a repeating task the next occurance will automatically be generated. What I have not tried is having an optional Due Date, but setting the task to repeat from Start Date. I think it will act the same way, but I guess I have to try it out.
imonsei

Posted: Dec 02, 2009
so.. did it work?

as i see on the web interface you cannot set it to repeat from start date.
I would love this option because setting a due date makes it show up on the calendar (which is for things that hurts if you dont complete them) and I don't neccesarily want "vaccum my room" to be on the calendar but i would like to repeat it weekly from a specific date.
Linden

Posted: Dec 04, 2009
If you set only a start date, and then select "repeat from due date", it will use the start date instead. So, if you have the repeat set to "weekly" and complete the task today, the next start date will be a week from today.

If you have BOTH a start date and due date, then it will repeat from the due date, and set the start date to have the same lead time as the original. So, let's say you have a start date of yesterday and due date of today, with repeat set to weekly. If you complete the task today, the new due date will be a week from today, and the start date will be 6 days from now.

I hope this helps!
imonsei

Posted: Dec 06, 2009
great. just as I'd hoped it worked :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.