ForumsQuestionsOptional Recurring Tasks Showing up as Due Yesterday

Optional Recurring Tasks Showing up as Due Yesterday
Alisa

Posted: Jul 13, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have some recurring tasks set up with an optional due date. Normally they just repeat daily and roll over to the next date if I don't get to them. Tonight I noticed that they did not roll over and now the due date says ?Yesterday instead of ?July 13, 2009. The only thing I did today was set a start date the same as the due date. How can I get them to roll over again?
Anders

Is your time zone set correctly in your Account Settings? A Start Date shouldn't change the behavior of the optional Due Date.
Anders

If everything appears to be set correctly, you may want to open a support ticket with Toodledo. There was a bug that affected optional repeats for some people, but Toodledo thought they had fixed it. I am sure they will want to know if some people are still having issues. See this thread: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1901/0/page.html
Alisa

Thanks Anders,

I did catch the post about the bug yesterday. I only made one other change and that is with the sub-tasks associated with these tasks. I made them recurring "with parent" (thanks for that tip.) Now I'm wondering if the two issues are related. I did discover that when I checked off a recurring sub-task with this repeat option it did not show up the next day. I think this is because you are supposed to check off the parent and then the sub-task will regenerate.

Previously I had my parent and sub-task both with optional due dates and I could skip days and everything would roll over. Then I changed the sub-tasks by adding a start date which was the same as the due date and this would make the completed sub-tasks disappear from the view after refresh (so my list got smaller throughout the day.)

Finally, I added the start date to the parent and changed the sub-tasks to repeat "with parent." This causes them to disappear from my view when completed too but it appears that I may need to check off the parent in order for them to reappear the next day. Since the repeat option is the same as the optionally recurring parent I assumed the sub-task would regenerate along with the parent.

I'll test a few scenarios out today and see what happens tonight.

ETA: My timezone was/is correct.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009.
Linden

If it helps, I've noticed through my own experiments that repeating optional tasks won't roll over until the repeat day arrives.

So, if a task repeats daily, the optional task will have a refreshed due date every day.

If a task repeats every two days, on the second day the optional task will appear overdue, and on the third day it will be refreshed.

My guess is that if the task is set to repeat with parent, it will appear overdue until the parent is checked off (as you guessed).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 14, 2009
If a subtask is set to repeat with parent it won't be repeated until the parent is repeated.
Alisa

Posted: Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the help! My goals are two-fold. I want the regenerated sub-tasks to not show up until the next repeat occurs. The "with parent" option takes care of this but I'm going to have to be more faithful about working my to-do list and checking things off daily.

The second is for my sub-tasks to not have due-dates (for my routines) so they don't show up on my Google Calendar. Again, the "with parent" option takes care of this too.

One last question though. If I skip some of the subtasks and mark the parent as complete will they be marked as complete? There are some sub-tasks that I don't do every day and I want my history to reflect this.

Thanks
Linden

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
Posted by Alisa:
If I skip some of the subtasks and mark the parent as complete will they be marked as complete? There are some sub-tasks that I don't do every day and I want my history to reflect this.
Thanks

My experience with this has been that the subtasks that aren't checked off when the parent is marked complete are removed from your list of tasks but NOT marked complete themselves. (That is, they don't appear in your history/recently completed lists.)

If they are set to repeat with the parent, they do still appear in the new parent task.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 18, 2009
You can read about how subtasks/parents are handled when completing them here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.