ForumsQuestionsPush Notification with text?

Push Notification with text?
Rob

Posted: Jul 14, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

as I read and experienced so far Push Notification only make use of "sound" and "badge". I have an iPod touch 1stGen wich doesn't have any speakers so I don't hear a sound.

The only thing is the badge. But as I don't remember the last "badge-counter" whether there was a change e.g. from 4 to 6.

Why not popping up the messagebox showing the subject of the task and the due date (and time) with possibility to just nod it or open toodledo app? The message would stay until interacting with it.
Anders

Popups are there. Make sure you have badges, alerts and sounds turned on in your iPod settings. Also note that the way Apple has provided for 3rd party apps to have notifications is not ideal for us iPod users (we seem to be 2nd class citizens to Apple). Because push notifications come directly from Toodledo's servers, they require an active network connection which, for iPod, means Wifi must be connected. This means you will often not get notifications until you wake up your iPod if they come while it is sleeping, and you cannot get any at all if you don't have Wifi.
Rob

Hmm thats strange. I have all the types activated. In "Reminders/Alarams" I have #1 set to iPhone and #2 to Email

Under #1 it says: "You will receive sound alerts on your iPhone for tasks and your application badge will be updated periodically." nothing about alerts? Hmm somehow I only receive badges.

As you say the notifications will not come while it's sleeping or due to no wifi-connection (which is not really of problem as I have some connection during the day) - it will be send as soon you have connection or are they lost?
Anders

I don't know why the reminder configuration page does not mention popups, but I know people (including me) have been getting them. I have an iPod as well, and I always get my notifications when I wake my device up. The only problem is that if you receive more than one, the older notifications will be missed, and you will only get the most recent one.
Rob

Hmm could it be that a due time is necessary? So far I just used due dates with a "1-day-earlier"-reminder.

Posted by Anders:
The only problem is that if you receive more than one, the older notifications will be missed, and you will only get the most recent one.

That's bad. I thought they will all popup after each other. Shame on you apple.
Anders

Due time is not necessary. If you set a reminder for a task with no Due Time, the reminder will be sent as if noon on the task's Due Date is its Due Time. In other words, you should receive your notifications at noon the day before (between 11:55 and 12:05 specifically).
Rob

Just tested it again with a due time and got an alert. But definitly I didn't get the other alerts -only the badges.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009.
Anders

Posted by Rob:
Just tested it again with a due time and got an alert. But definitly I didn't get the other alerts -only the badges.

I'll try out the 1 day lead time which I have never used, but I can't see any reason it should work differently. I have used no Due Time before and received my notification.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 18, 2009
I just wanted to add that a first generation iPod touch is capable of producing sound, but it's just a high pitched buzzing.

And popup reminders are part of the sound alert, but as was mentioned, Apple only allows the most recent alert to show, and no alerts will appear if you don't have an internet connection.
Anders

How can a 1st gen iPod produce any sound at all? It has no speakers. Or do you mean through headphones?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It doesn't have a speaker, but it has a little internal buzzer. Try using Apple's "Clock" application to set an alarm and you'll hear what it sounds like.
Anders

Posted: Jul 19, 2009
Wow, I never knew that. I have had sound disabled since I got the thing because I thought they were impossible. Thanks for the tip :)
JL2569

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
Hi, trying to get reminders on my iPhone and not having any luck. Have newest version of app and pro subscription. Under the help section it talks says; "Once you complete these steps, any task that has a due-date AND an alarm set will receive an alert. To set an alarm for a task:

•On the website: Click the "remind me" checkbox above the due-date calendar.

I cannot find this "remind me" box. Any ideas? Thx!
Anders

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
The reminder box should be above the popup calendar for Due Date/Time. Make sure you have enabled reminders, and saved changes on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_remind.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.