ForumsQuestionsiPhone app Todo note edits lost switching applications

iPhone app Todo note edits lost switching applications
Tim Gordon

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
When editing the note attached to a Todo item and then switching to another application, switching back to the Toodledo iPhone application the synchronization starts (if it is set) and after synchronization any edits to the note are lost.

This is especially inconvenient when taking notes during a telephone call. When hanging up the phone there can be an application switch. On switching back all the notes taken during the conversation are lost.

Are there any plans to address this? I can turn off the automatic synchronization, but the manual synchronization is many clicks away, especially if "return to last screen" is set as the home screen option.
Anders

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
You could just turn off sync on startup, and leave sync on edit on.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 18, 2009
I think that the problem is that your notes are still in the editable state when you switch apps, so it hasn't saved the note yet. If you tap the "Done" button before switching apps, it should save your note.
Scott Johnson

Posted: Dec 09, 2009
This isn't related to syncing-- it's related to not saving the complete state of the app when a context switch comes in.

I'm a mobile device developer (since the days of the Palm Pilot) and I've had a *lot* of experience with this kind of thing. A mobile platform is not like a PC. It is subject to constant context switches that in some cases the user has no control over, like when calls come in. You can't hit "Done" if the incoming call screen has taken over the phone's display and, by then, your notes are toast because the app didn't save them when it was shut down by the context switch.

When the app gets the "I'm shutting you down" notification, it needs to save ALL state-- including the fact that you're editing the note and the unsaved changes-- because when you come back to the app (after taking the call, for example) you should come back in exactly where you were, in the note editing window, with unsaved changes, waiting for you to finish editing the note.

There will be an issue here that you can't do a sync-on-open with a note in the "edited, not saved" state, but I don't think anyone would *expect* you to sync in that case, because you're returning to where you were before the context switch took place.

Now, I know that this is a big change, with lots of code to be done to implement it-- so of course I don't expect it done next week.

That is, unless you'd like to hire me onto the dev team to implement it ;-)

This message was edited Dec 09, 2009.
TheGriff_2

Posted: Dec 10, 2009
Are you sure this can be done on iPhone? Apple has put in requirements that strictly limit how long an application has to "save itself" before the iPhone takes control and does a forceful end.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 10, 2009
It is true, that when our iPhone app is quit, it does not retain partially edited information that has not yet been saved. We plan to add this feature in a future update.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.