ForumsQuestionsEvent/Date coordination

Event/Date coordination
Kevin

Posted: May 27, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I have gone through several of the GTD programs online, and I think the Toodledo is the best (or at least best suited to my needs).

One disappointment, however, has been the inability to add events that occur at a particular time (this disappointment isn't limited to Toodledo. Nozbe has been promising events for some time, and most of the other GTD apps have none or limited ability to add events).

And yes, I understand that I can use Toodledo with a calendar program like Google Calendars. But the (IMHO) artificial distinction between events and todos limits the usefulness of Toodledo for planning.

For example, let's suppose I have a telephone conference tomorrow at 11 am. Right now, I'd put that on Google Calendar, and any associated tasks in Toodledo, where they would be viewable in the Google calendar (provided you click on the check box at the top of the date) but otherwise unconnected.

Now, imagine in an event were simply a TODO with two extra fields (I think Toodledo has everything but start time, as opposed to the start date, and end time, though I suppose the "due time" could be used for one or the other.) Once you list that event as a task, you could list any preparation you need to do as subtasks.

The really nice thing is that you could then use the Toodledo calendar instead of using the Google calendar to see dates and then having to click on the Toodledo check box to see your tasks for that date (I imagine that kludge is a problem with the Google Calendar API and not on the Toodledo side, as Remember the Milk has a similar interface with Google Calendar).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I would suggest using the due-time field for keeping track of events. So if you have a meeting at 2:00, set the due-time to 2:00. This will give you a visual reminder, and will also enable you to use our SMS/Email/Twitter reminders for this event.

Google Calendar has some API issues, but if you use a different calendar like Apple's iCal, any task that has a due-time will be treated like an event and show up on the calendar.

Hope that helps.
Kevin

Thanks for the info. It would still be nice to have something to indicate the duration of such an event, but I like your idea.

From what I can see on Apple.com and Wikipedia, Apple's iCal only works on Apple's OS. For the moment, at least, I have a PC. Any suggestions for an online app that operates on the iCal standards you describe?

One other suggestion: you may want to take a look at legal case management software for ideas for your own program. I use Time Matters (from LexisNexis) at my office for most of my professional work. In some ways it's more of a pain to use (in part because it has almost too many bells and whistles), but in many ways it mirrors the GTD philosophy: it has Case/Matter designations that are the equivalent of folders, allows for status updates, and has classification codes (which can be used for contexts).

The real beauty of such case management software is its ability to bring together a lot of the information you'd need to complete a task. In addition to the links that GTD software generally provides (tasks linked to folders, contexts, tags) you can link a TODO or Event to a specific person and/or location; if that person is in the case management database, you not only get the name, but also contact information. As I said, it's probably too much for a clean online app, but it might give you some useful ideas.

If you're interested in looking at any of that, I can send you screen shots or even the product manual in pdf.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 28, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I just wanted to point out that we do have a field for keeping track of the length (both estimated and actual) of an event/todo. If you don't see it, you will need to go into your account settings to turn this field on.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.