ForumsQuestionsAutomatic creation of tasks?

Automatic creation of tasks?
toodledo

Posted: Jul 23, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
For some reason I'm getting multiple tasks created each day automatically somehow.

Some tasks that I have had in my list are being recreated every day. I'm not sure exactly the frequency of their creation, but I have about 900+ tasks created in the last week.

These tasks are not setup to repeat.

Has anyone had this same problem? What's going on?

Thanks!

Brandon
Anders

Do you sync your Toodledo tasks with any other applications (iPhone, Outlook, etc.)?
toodledo

Yes. I sync with outlook and with an iPhone.

I wasn't having any problems before - this just started happening a couple of weeks ago.

I did recently upgrade to the latest iPhone app - though I don't know if that corresponds to when this problem started to occur.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2009.
toodledo

On a related note - does anyone know how to delete or "complete" multiple tasks at a time? It's rather tedious to remove these 900+ tasks...

Thanks
Anders

Posted by toodledo:
Yes. I sync with outlook and with an iPhone.

There was a duplication issue with the iPhone app, but it was actually fixed with the 1.5 update (it was related to the sync on closing feature which is now gone). The Outlook sync tool has been reported to cause duplications, sometimes large-scale ones, and I would bet that is your issue. You should either post about it in the Third Party Applications forum, where the tool's developer regularly answers questions, or contact him directly through the website: http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/Default.aspx

If you hover your cursor over the checkbox for a task, it will tell you where the task was created. Tasks created in Outlook may just say via API or something like that.

The only way to complete or delete multiple tasks onsite is through multiedit in search view. So all the tasks have to share some characteristic to get them in a search, but then you can complete or delete all of them at once. If that won't work due to the nature of your tasks, the easiest way would be to export your tasks as a CSV, delete them in a program like Excel, and then import the rest back to Toodledo.
thpope

Posted by toodledo:
I did recently upgrade to the latest iPhone app - though I don't know if that corresponds to when this problem started to occur.
The Toodledo iPhone app or something different? I've had problems with 3rd party iPhone todo apps creating dupes when syncing with Toodledo, specifically with Pocket Informant.
toodledo

I updated the Toodledo iPhone app.

These dupes look to be created from "API", so I'm guessing that's outlook.

I deleted all of the tasks (including the original ones). Thanks for that tip, Anders! That saved me a lot of time.

Maybe I should just remove the outlook sync. I usually use the web interface to modify/create tasks anyway.

Brandon
Anders

Giving up the Outlook sync obviously depends how important Outlook is to you. I stopped using Outlook and moved to mobile and web apps a few years ago and I have not looked back (well, to be honest I have had thoughts of installing it again just to get offline desktop access to my Toodledo stuff, but I probably won't). Whatever you decide to do, you should still try to contact the developer and send him a sync log if you have one.

@The Pope, I don't understand why PI does that. They are working with the same API as all the other apps that sync with Toodledo, and those guys are seasoned veterans of that kind of app. It doesn't seem to be a common thing, but you rarely hear of other apps having any sync issues at all.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2009.
toodledo

Posted: Jul 24, 2009
Well I uninstalled the Toodledo outlook sync program and I'm still getting the duplicates created.

Maybe I need to reinstall the latest version and try to shut them off somehow.

Is it possible to move this thread to the other forum, like you suggested, Anders? Or do I have to start this question again over there?

Thanks,
Brandon
Anders

I don't think threads can be moved, but you could post a link to this thread if you start a new one. However, if you are still getting duplicates, maybe it is not the sync tool. Where does Toodledo say the duplicates were created? If it is the iPhone app, it will tell you that when you hover over the checkbox. If it says they were added through the API, then I am very confused as to how the Outlook tool could be adding tasks even after you removed it.
toodledo

It says via API. I suppose I could shutdown my machine and see if I still get duplicates. That should tell me for sure if it's the Outlook sync program.

But I'll have to wait till this evening when I'm not using my computer.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
According to our internal records, the Outlook sync app installed on your account synced today, so maybe it didn't get fully uninstalled.
thpope

Posted: Jul 29, 2009
Posted by Anders:
@The Pope, I don't understand why PI does that. They are working with the same API as all the other apps that sync with Toodledo, and those guys are seasoned veterans of that kind of app. It doesn't seem to be a common thing, but you rarely hear of other apps having any sync issues at all.
It happened when it was first released and I believe it was because of repeating tasks and "optionally on" tasks (which I will reiterate that I think it's a bad idea to delete tasks automatically). They may have fixed it, but I'm not going to take the chance until maybe 1.1. I have a lot of history with things syncing poorly causing dupes and deletions from way back using Active Stink and my ppc. It's not fun to deal with and with the big screw-ups, you never know for sure that you've gotten back the lost data.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.