ForumsQuestionsSuggestion: Moderator Control (Anders)

Suggestion: Moderator Control (Anders)
Proximo

Posted: Jul 29, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
I wanted to post a suggestion for the Forums.

As Toodledo grows, so will the forums and the number of post. As the forums become more active, you will have situations where some people may post negative comments and this is why the Thumb Up and Thumb Down system is in place.

My Suggestion.

If a post get's many Thumb Down's. It should become hidden WITHOUT the ability to view it.

The Moderator(s)at that time can review the hidden post and decide if it warrants the negative ranking.

This is a suggestion in light of what I saw with Vin's post. There was nothing negative about it and because it received 4 negative marks, it was hidden.

Just about everyone will click to see the negative comment out of curiosity, so why give us the ability to see it.

The Moderator should have the control to... well. Moderate.

This will make things fair. Not a big issue now, but as the Forums grow, so will the need to give Moderators control.

I am the "Global Moderator Team Leader" for a Design and Graphics forum with many users. In my role I am responsible for all Moderators and Global Moderators on the forums.

Moderators should have some level of control if they are going to be truly moderators.

This is why choosing your Moderators is important. They need to be fair, helpful and respectful. Anders was a great choice but he will need some ability to Moderate as the forum grows.

Just a suggestion.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Yes, we do plan to expand the role of moderators as we grow and need that functionality.

One thing to note is that the thumbs up will work to counteract the thumbs down, so if a few people do a thumbs up vote on the post from Vin that you are referring to, it will no longer be hidden.
Vin Thomas

I agree with Proximo. If a comment is illegitmate, inappropriate, or out of line, I think it is fine for the post to be removed. But this seems like a unintended flaw of the thumbs-up/thumbs-down feature.

I actually like the feature, but I don't think it should be used like this.

If critical statements are taken down or hidden that doesn't really nurture open community. If I am just writing to please the TD moderators and members what is the point of even making a constructively critical statement.

I wonder if this post will get hidden too...

Tyler

Score: 1 Reference
I agree with Proximo --

However, I don't like the thumbs up/down system as a method of rating in any case, although I do think being able to mark comments is useful (and was a requested feature to these forums).

Here's the issue: on nearly every forum I've ever seen that has user ratings -- whether as simple as up or down, or a star system, people tend to interpret the system as meaning "I agree with this" or "I don't agree with this."

That's prob. why Vin Thomas (one of the most helpful and enthusiastic participants in this forum!) got his comment rated down: users felt "I don't agree with this" (or even "hey, he's dissing ToodleDo!") rather than "this is a legitimate observation whether or not I agree with it".

I think it comes down to semantics -- we automatically interpret ratings as measures of agreement, rather than measures of thoughtfulness, usefulness, etc.

So I think one simple, easy fix would be to change the tooltip text when you hover over the thumbs up / down buttons:

up: [hover text]: "Flag as Interesting or Useful"

down: [hover text]: "Flag as Inappropriate or Spam"

(There may be better ways to phrase this -- if anyone thinks this idea is worth pursuing, feel free to suggest alternatives.)

Actually, though, it would be better if the symbols weren't thumbs up or down as well.

My suggested alternatives to replace them:

--A green checkmark in place of thumbs up for "Flag as Interesting or Useful"

-- A red flag in place of thumbs down for "Flag as Inappropriate or Spam"

Any thoughts about this?

P.S. Posted by Toodledo:
One thing to note is that the thumbs up will work to counteract the thumbs down, so if a few people do a thumbs up vote on the post from Vin that you are referring to, it will no longer be hidden.

Yeah, I thumbed that post up, and so lessened the negative ratings. It does work. ;)

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009.
Vin Thomas

Posted by Tyler:

Any thoughts about this?

This suggestions seems more appropriate to me (and probably the original intent of Toodledo).
thpope

Posted by Vin Thomas:
Posted by Tyler:

Any thoughts about this?

This suggestions seems more appropriate to me (and probably the original intent of Toodledo).
agree. I thought the thumbs up was more for "I like this suggestion" but it doesn't seem like that at all. And I certainly didn't realize the thumbs down would hide a post as inappropriate.

I am truly frustrated with the forums because it takes me way too long to find responses to my posts. I think it's time for Toodledo to get a regular forum. I know they have their reasons, but this is simply unmanageable.

Regarding the Moderator, someone really needs to reign that guy in. I mean, he's more like a tyrant and one of the meanest guys I've ever seen. ;) (just kidding)
Proximo

Posted: Jul 30, 2009
Many good suggestions.

I think the Thumb Down should be for Spam or Comments that are not appropriate.

Right now it's not that big of an issue or an issue at all. Toodledo's forums are filled with great people and a very nice sense of community.

As you grow, the user base grows and the potential for negative remarks increases. This can be addressed with good Moderation and that's why the suggestion is being made.

With that said. If we could somehow have a confirmation box that shows up when you use the Thumb System, it would help keep things clear for the user.

Example:

Clicking on the Thumbs Up icon will pop out a little window that says.

"You believe this post was very helpful"
Then you need to click a Confirm button.

Clicking on the Thumbs Down icon will pop out a little window that says.

"You believe this post is Spam or Inappropriate"
Then you need to click a Confirm button.

The point is to have something that let's the user know the intent of the icons. They may have meant that they don't agree with the post but after reading the pop up window may realize that the Thumbs Down is not used for that, but to flag Spam or Inappropriate post.

Just a thought.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.