ForumsQuestionsiPhone app does not seem to use proxy settings

iPhone app does not seem to use proxy settings
Kevin Pinto

Posted: Aug 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have just gotten started with Toodledo and love it! The iPhone app is very slick.

I use my iPhone (part of the time) behind my company's firewall. They use an HTTP proxy, which I specify as follows:
iPhone > Settings > Wi-Fi > (name of wireless lan) > HTTP Proxy > Manual
and here I specify Server and Port.

This works for most iPhone applications and I can browse the Internet using iPhone Safari.

Unfortunately, Toodledo does not seem to make any use of this field and when I attempt to sync, I get this message:

Network Unavailable
Couldn't connect to Toodledo.com Do you have an Internet connection?

I can workaround this by using the 3G network. Also, Toodledo works fine on my home wireless lan which does not use an HTTP proxy. So it seems a reasonable guess that this is related to the HTTP proxy.

Desired fix: Toodledo should make use of the iPhone's proxy settings.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 03, 2009
Thanks for the bug report. We'll look into it.
joachim.deguara

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
I believe I have the same problem as my iPod syncs at home but not at work and in both cases I can go on the web with my iPod using Safari. My work also uses a proxy server for access to the internet.
matidio

Posted: Sep 30, 2009
I can confirm the report of Kevin but I'm getting an error #1011 without any further explanation.
For this reason currently the iPhone App is useless for me :(
Hoping for a fast solution ...
Regards
matidio

Posted: Oct 20, 2009
Any solution?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The proxy settings should be handled in the iPhone OS. We have been looking into it, but have been unable to determine what we need to do to get Toodledo to work through a Proxy. If your proxy requires authentication, that might be causing the problem. We are stilling trying to figure this one out. It is complicated by the fact that we don't have a proxy to test on.
sventhebrit

Hi all,
I have been using 1.5.4 with a proxy (no authentication). It has always worked with previous versions too so must be related to authentication.
Steve

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009.
matidio

Posted: Oct 22, 2009
It is correct that iPhone handles the proxy but only the configuration settings. For example it doesn't handle the (authentication) protocol, this is up to the application. So if anything fails there ...
Which kind of authentication protocols handles Toodledo?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 22, 2009
If your proxy requires authentication, then we don't currently handle that. We'll look into that in a future update.
matidio

Posted: Oct 23, 2009
If you intend credentials with authentication these are handled by the configuration settings of the iPhone. The authentication protocol however is handled by the application itself.

I discovered the problem by myself. Your app doesn't understand the NTLM (authentication) protocol. I implemented a CNTLM proxy gateway to bypass temporarily the problem (but slows down the things a bit)
It would be nice if you implement a solution inside your app in the future update as NTLM is common in the business world.
Thanks
davidgrossman

Posted: Apr 09, 2010
Any update on this. I have would like to use the app on the iPad and it limits its use with this bug.

This message was edited Apr 09, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 10, 2010
I am sorry, but we have not yet had a chance to work on this. In order to test this we would need to setup our own authenticated proxy, and we don't have the equipment to do this at the moment.
hannah_prosser

Posted: May 11, 2010
HI

I also came on here seeking an answer to this. It seems to be a problem that affects most apps, but isn't within the authentication itself as mail and safari work fine. I did find this link also within my search:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2053413&tstart=30

so I wonder if this is something that toodledo can't deal with w/o apple's intervention.

My college introduced a proxy server yesterday - and since then I can't use my apps which is very disappointing.

If anyone gets any ideas on how to make this work I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 13, 2010
Apple hasn't made it easy, and we aren't sure that it is possible, but we are looking into it. We don't have a proxy to test on, so it has been difficult for us to work on this feature.
john.baumgartner

Posted: Jul 15, 2010
Wow, just paid $5 for your iPhone app and can't use it at all since my workplace uses a proxy (which is fairly commonplace...).

No progress on this #1011 error since September last year?

What's your refund policy?

EDIT: Sorry guys, I realised this is an app-wide issue with iPhones, and not Toodledo's fault per se. Sync works for me on 3G, just not behind the auth'd proxy. That's fine for me as I'm happy to switch off wifi to sync. Still loving the app; afaik the Toodledo/Chromadrake's sync combo is still the only solution to syncing Outlook tasks, and this is a lifesaver for me.

Thanks

This message was edited Jul 15, 2010.
wouter.vanvooren

Posted: Aug 18, 2010
Hey guys,

Toodledo sync through a proxy for the ipad app should be in the feature list. Is it possible to give some more priority to get this functionality working ? Inside the corporate world, proxies are almost always a given.

Anyway, thanks for the efforts, great app !
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 18, 2010
The reason why we have been stalling on this bug is because we don't have a proxy with which to replicate this bug or test a resolution. But we will have to go get one to experiment with so that we can fix this in a future update. I am sorry for the delay on this one.
wolfgang

Posted: Oct 06, 2010
Hi Toodledo,

I love the app, I love the service - but I cannot use the iPad app at work thanks to the proxy issue. Nothing fancy, no authentication, but HTTP proxy on port 8080. I'm sure you can figure something out, otherwise I will have to switch to Todo.
unitingasone

Posted: Oct 18, 2010
Why am I able to snyc with my iPhone but not with my Ipad in the same location? The progress bar on the ipad app stops midway and never continues. If this was a proxy issue wouldn't it be happening on all the devices?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 18, 2010
Can you please create a support ticket for this so that we can look into your account and see what the problem is?

Thanks
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.