ForumsQuestionsSubtasks display and handling

Subtasks display and handling
Bruce

Posted: Aug 07, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Forgive me but I think the functionality around subtasks does not seem to be so good. An example...

I have a project composed of several subtasks. The project itself is just a title and its the subtasks that say what is to be done to realise the project. So I don't really want the project title to be a task itself and to have dates.

So I have a Project called 'Build Bike Website'
Build Bike Website
and it has the following subtasks...
- specify pages
- build pages
- check pages

and what I want to do is ascribe dates to the 3 subtasks and no date to the overall task. At the moment if I do that and one of the subtask due dates is today I don't get the task shown for today in the All Tasks view. Not even if I have the GreaseMonkey (Firefox) script for auto show subtasks. To get the subtasks seen I have to:
Click on filters.
click on Nest subtasks
when it changes to Flatten Subtasks click on that

and then for today I correctly get the subtask shown. But the subtask just shows as
'specify pages'

if I want the context (say because I'm working on lots of web projects all with the same methodology (specify pages, build, pages, check pages) then I have to click the icon to load the parent task.

That's an awful lot of clicking and mucking about.

What I think should happen is that I click on the All Tasks and I should have shown for today:
Build Bike Website > Specify Pages

and I didn't have to click on a thing to get this view. It seems so obvious!

Some of you may say "But make the project title date today or a date in the past. But I don't want to have to keep changing the Project title date so I get to see stuff on a day. And if a subtask is not due that day and I don't change the project title date then the project is shown as overdue.

I'm new to Toodledo and may be missing something here or possible doing stuff wrong... So are there better ways or to Toodledo plan to enhance this funcionality?
Bruce

I now notice that if I turn the GreaseMonkey scipt off then All Tasks does show the subtasks due on the correct date - if without the (project title) context and requiring more clicking. I guess the GreaseMonky kludge has downsides.

I'd still like to see all subtasks presented in teh form:
Project Title (or Task if you prefer) > Subtask

and for this to be the case everywhere. That way substask don't have to redundenly include title text.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2009.
Linden

Richard recently made a post that appears to create the one-line flow you're looking for, using tags for your broad areas and then folders for your project titles.

You can read it here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/2654/-1/pseudo-subfolders.html

Doing this, you could have a "Bike Website" folder and then have "specify pages" as a task in that folder. If you listed folders before the title in your layout, you would have:
Project > Task name

Toodledo is working on adding a new level to the heirarchy, and it is popularly believed to be the missing project level. This may end up behaving as what you're looking for, but Richard's suggestion looks like an excellencd workaround for now.

Anders

The Greasemonkey script is designed for people who like to have their subtasks nested (shown below their parent), but don't want them hidden by default. It sounds like you would prefer a Flattened view of your subtasks, in which case the script would not be for you because It will automatically nest flattened subtasks. What I do is keep all my subtasks nested in most views because I generally like to see projects grouped together, but I have them flattened in Context view, and my parent tasks (projects) have no Context assigned, so they do not get in the way.

Proximo

Have you tried a custom search to pull the information out that you need. This is what I do to see my Nested Subtask when they are "Next Action"

Just a thought.
Bruce

Posted: Aug 08, 2009
Posted by Anders:
The Greasemonkey script is designed for people who like to have their subtasks nested

I think the reason I went down the Greasmonkey script route was because I wanted to see subtasks automatically in context. Everywhere.

In my example I didn't like just seeing an action of 'Specify Pages' because its just not clear. And I'm very resistant to typing in redundant info and having subtasks include the name of the project title ie instead of 'Specify Pages' I type in 'Bike Website- Specify Pages' and all the other subtasks would start with the needless typing of 'Bike Website- '. If you are working on an iPhone or whatever then its not place to be at all. Poor though on any keyboard.

I haven't used a computer based To-Do list in a few years now and i have to say that this was a problem back then on some Palm To-Dos I recall.

I'll have a look at some of the suggestions made here - thank you everybody - and its clear there are lots of options that might help... though less clear if I will find it intuitive and an easy way forward. I'm not after anything complex I think. I'm happy with projects and tasks, less clear I need Folders, Goals, Sharing etc.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.