ForumsQuestionsCommon set of tasks and subtasks for Each Project

Common set of tasks and subtasks for Each Project
john.heward

Posted: Aug 09, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have created a methodology for our sales cycle.
basically consists of Project equates to a Client, a Task equates to an Event, and a sub task that equates to the actions of the event.

I'm looking at Toodledo to help me organise my clients (Projects) so that I can see what I have to do next for each of them, when that is due/overdue etc. and I want to collaborate this Project with my team allowing them to see where we are and what is next to do, even do something themselves and update the sub tasks as done.

can someone tell me I'm wasting my time or do you know how I would best do this in Toodledo - I'm only on the light version and expect that I would need the Pro version (for the subtasks) but that's not a problem if this works.

I don't want to type all the tasks/sub tasks in each time I get a new client (create a new Project). I just want to do this once and replicate it for each Project eg. Create a project with a skeleton or template set). But I may want to add some extra detail i.e. who it is I need to contact for this instance.
Anders

You can create your "Template" Project, and then make as many copies as you like using the "clone " feature. To clone a task, you can just hover your cursor over the checkbox of a task for a second and a popup will appear with options including clone. Also, when you clone a task, it will also create copies of any subtasks of that task, so it should be quite easy to set up.

One other thing to keep in mind is that, if you want everyone to be able to edit your tasks, they will either need access to your Toodledo account, or they will need to be set up as collaborators with Pro accounts (non-Pro collaborators can view, but not edit tasks).

This message was edited Aug 09, 2009.
john.heward

Anders

Excellent, and many thanks for the response. That sound just the Job, and very neat too. Just what I want.

Task no. 1 - Upgrade to the Pro version. -- Done.
john.heward

Anders,

I may have caused some confusion. I need many Projects as they will be my clients.
I have 15 Main tasks and about 75 subtask. The Tasks and subtasks repeat for each client, however these will or should be independent of the cloned template version.

The hierarchy I would like is

Project A (is this a task or a folder?)
Task 1
Sub-Task 1
Sub-Task 2
Task 2
sub-Task x

I thought the Project would equate to the Folder in Toodledo.
having tried it I couldn't see how I could clone the Folder, so, I guess your reference to the Project was as a Task.

If this is true, then I can't go to down to my lowest level as you can only go Task>Sub-Task.

Is there any other way to make this work for me.

cheers
John
Anders

Some people use Folders for Projects, others (including me) use parent tasks. Sorry if I confused you there. Each individual task with it's subtasks has to be cloned individually. So there are a couple of ways to get what you are looking for, but you will have to figure out what will work best for you. You could simply use parent tasks as Projects, but there is only 1 level of subtasks, so that may not work for you. Although you could see if tagging the different subtasks would work instead of having them under different parent tasks. In other words:
Project A (parent task)
Task 1 and Task 2, etc. are Tags
Subtask 1 (tagged "task 1")
Subtask 2 (tagged "task 1")
Subtask x (tagged "task 2")
The advantage here is that the whole project could be cloned at once.

If you are going to use Folders as Projects, you would have to either have templates for each of your top level tasks and clone each of them, with their subtasks whenever you add a new Folder, or create a master template which would just be a task with all the tasks you wish to reuse (parent and subtasks) as subtasks which you would then have to drag into the appropriate hierarchy. The first way is likely easier, but it depends on the tasks. The disadvantage is of course that cloning your 15 parent tasks would take a bit longer than the Parebt Task as Project method, but it most closely resembles the setup you have described.

This message was edited Aug 09, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.