ForumsQuestionsTrouble accessing Toodledo from work

Trouble accessing Toodledo from work
roddyt

Posted: Aug 17, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
A week ago Friday I couldn't access Toodledo from work. I figured it might be another of those server problems and went about my business. Come Monday, same thing. Since I accessed it all weekend from home, I felt something else was going on, so I played around a bit.

After entering the URL, the progress bar crept along very slowly, so just to see what would happen, I minimized it and left it alone. I checked it every once and again, then after about 30 minutes, it came up with my data. Some of the graphics were missing, for instance, the little arrow icon that minimizes or expands the left sidebar is replaced by the text "toggle sidebar."

I found that once the data was displayed, I could click between tabs and the data refreshed normally. I can also add tasks without problem, but certain actions such as clicking Search caused another long painful wait.

So much for the behavior. Some additional facts.

This only happens in my workplace. I tried it with Firefox and with IE. I had colleagues try to access toodledo.com: same thing.

I work for a large defense contractor and the last few months they have been talking more than usual on trying to protect against the constant onslaught from hackers and the never-ending spam, so I expect they might have pushed out some change that is causing this.

Before I call the IT dept, I wanted to try here first to see if anyone knows anything about this kind of behavior. Also, I tried a lot of other sites and Toodledo is the only one that has this problem, so what is unique about Toodledo that might cause this.

Thanks,
Roddy
Anders

Posted: Aug 18, 2009
Very strange. I don't know if this will help because it will obviously not affect IE, but in Firefox, go to Tools->Options->Content, then make sure "automatically load images" is checked. If it is not, then you will get the "toggle sidebar" text, and checkboxes, stars, etc. will be missing from your task lists.
roddyt

Very strange indeed. Thanks for the help, but that's not it.

One tidbit I can add. I paid some attention to the status line at the bottom of the browser. Every time I looked, there was a reference to "images.toodledo.com" in one form or another: either Read from, Waiting for, or Transferring data from.

This ties in with what I've seen. When the data finally appears after a half hour or so, the interface still looks goofy.
Anders

This may be unrelated, but someone posted about a similar, but less dramatic issue in this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1544/0/website-hanging.html
The same hanging on read images.toodledo problem there too. Like I said, maybe unrelated, but I thought I'd mention it.
roddyt

Thanks again. The only connection here is that both seem related to images.toodledo.com, though I wish I only had to wait 20 seconds instead of 30 minutes. One question from that thread though. What is a CDN. I may recognize it when I hear it, but I'm drawing a blank now.
Anders

roddyt

Posted: Aug 19, 2009
There's no happy ending here. I finally took the time to contact IT and my suspicions were correct. There's new security implemented that analyzes all incoming traffic. They were able to determine that Toodledo is a very "robust" site with a lot of scripting. That's what is causing the slow-down. All scripts are being analyzed to be sure nothing evil is happening, hence a long wait.

Security isn't willing to budge on this, so I have to put up with it. Oh well. I've already started to adjust. I open TD in a few separate windows so if I should happen to click on something that causes it to go into its "thinking" phase, I can switch over to another window to continue. I'm nothing if I'm not resourceful.
Vin Thomas

You might want to try accessing the site through http://ninjacloak.com/

It can help bypass certain firewalls if you feel comfortable going that route.
Anders

That is a creative solution. If you ever run into problems, and need to do something fast, you could always use the HTML site. It doesn't do everything the full site does (the biggest thing for me is that subtasks and parent tasks are not differentiated), but it should not present the same sort of delays.
http://www.toodledo.com/html
Jake

Toodledo Founder
images.toodledo.com is a network that we use to serve images and other static files. You might try using our website with SSL encryption (requires a Pro account), because this bypasses our CDN and encrypts everything to your computer, so the security sniffers might not see it.
roddyt

Posted: Aug 20, 2009
Thanks all for the help. Ninjacloak, not surprisingly from your description, is a blocked site. All I get is a dire warning not to try that again. I didn't know about the HTML access. I'll remember that if push comes to shove and I need to see something quick.

But...
Yesterday afternoon, access to the site returned to normal, after almost two weeks. I hesitate to mention it because I'm afraid I'll jinx it. It's still working well this morning, so I'm hoping for the best. If it should revert back again, I'll give the SSL encryption a try.

Thanks again for the help,
Roddy
Anders

Posted: Aug 20, 2009
I love happy endings. I'm glad the government has finally recognized the importance of Toodledo :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.