ForumsQuestionsGoogle Gadgets for Linux and Toodledo Gadget

Google Gadgets for Linux and Toodledo Gadget
Kenny Schiff

Posted: Aug 18, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I would like to run the Google Gadget for Toodledo using Google Gadgets for Linux or Screenlets. I'm able to convert the gadget with screenlets, but something about the conversion renders funny (can't login with it). The stock Tooldedo gadget doesn't show up in the Google Gadgets directory when run from Google Gadgets (GTK). I'm trying to run this under Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04. I realize that this is a bit of an oddball request, but I like the idea of having a peristent todo list that's not tied to the browser for quick visiblity and adds.
Anders

Posted: Aug 19, 2009
I'm not sure why the gadget doesn't work with Linux, but have you considered Adobe AIR? There are a couple of Toodledo apps for AIR. One is just for quick adds, and then there are a couple that just contain the Slim website like the Google Gadget does.
Kenny Schiff

I'm open to Air, but the larger issue with Air is UI integration. The gadgets are an extension of the UI and live properly within it. I am still trying to find someone out there who understands how the gadgets get propagated in the Google gadget directory. If I find that I will keep you posted.
Anders

Toodledo doesn't actually have a Google Desktop gadget. I'm not sure why. They have every other conceivable kind of Google gadget, and a Mac dashboard widget. However, I just checked out Google Gadgets for Linux, and it says iGoogle gadgets should work as well, so I'm not sure why Toodledo's doesn't. One thing you could try is one of the iframe type iGoogle gadgets that lets you enter any URL you want. If it works, then you could just plug the Slim URL in there, or even use the iGoogle gadget's, or Gmail gadget's URL.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We don't have a Google Desktop gadget yet because we haven't had time to make one. It is on our to-do list. If anyone wants to make one that wraps our slim website (this is what we would do anyway), we'll review it and post it for everyone to use.
Kenny Schiff

For now, I was able to emulate the gadget using the Screenlet capability of running a webapp. I loaded the slim site into that, and this should do for now.

BTW, the Google Gadgets for Linux app has an iGoogle gadget gadget that allows you to plug in the gadget URL that's used in iGoogle. When I pasted in http://www.google.com/ig/adde?hl=en&moduleurl=http://www.toodledo.com/widget/google.php&source=imag the app complained that it was an invalid gadget URL. The ones I got to work like this were all referring to XML so I suspect that this is the issue.
Anders

I can use the iGoogle gadget in Google Desktop for Windows by plugging in the address http://www.toodledo.com/widget/igoogle.php
It doesn't display properly in the sidebar, and even expanded I can't reach the bottom of the main menu screen, so it is pretty unusable since there is no scroll bar, but other than that it appears to work.

I actually just downloaded Google Desktop to look into creating a gadget, and it looks like it will not be too difficult, but that may be naive of me to say.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009.
Anders

I think you were plugging in the address of the whole gadget as it stands on iGoogle. What you wanted is just the moduleurl I think. But I don't know why yours just says /google while mine says /igoogle.

I just checked, and both URLs lead to similar XML. The only difference is the description.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.