ForumsQuestionsToodledo hangs when cancelling a search

Toodledo hangs when cancelling a search
dg

Posted: Aug 31, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I may be doing something wrong, so hoping an ol' timer can help me out.

I find the "f" shortcut key quite handy. I can quickly enter a search term to find a task.

But if I try to cancel the search, either by hitting "escape" or clicking the "Cancel" link...well, Toodledo hangs up for 10-20 seconds or longer. It eventually comes back, so no data loss, but it makes searching so painful I avoid using this feature to avoid the delay.

Is there some trick to this that I don't know about?

thx!

This message was edited Aug 31, 2009.
Anders

Posted: Aug 31, 2009
Hmmm...
It does seem to be hanging a bit, even if you just open and close the search bar. I am only getting about 4 or 5 seconds, but I have not noticed that before, and I think it must be new. It could be related to the recent site updates, but I'm sure Toodledo will look into it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 01, 2009
Are you using Firefox? The last update of Firefox seems to have some performance problems with lists of several hundred tasks. We are trying to optimize for this.
dg

Posted by Toodledo:
Are you using Firefox? The last update of Firefox seems to have some performance problems with lists of several hundred tasks. We are trying to optimize for this.

I do have several hundred tasks - around about 300 in fact.
In Firefox v3.62a and Chrome 4.0.202.0; Toodledo hangs immediately upon clicking the "Cancel Search" link. The delay is 5-20 seconds depending, then Toodledo begins responding again.

In FireFox 3.5.2 (production release) - clicking the "Cancel Search" link results in immediately closing the search pane, but then Toodledo hangs and eventually comes back with a dialog box pop-up that says..."Warning: Unresponsive script. A script on this page nay be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now.
or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script: https://www.toodledo. comfncludes/prototype.js: 1265

Hope that info helps!

-- dgg
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, it does help. The in-page search function slows down once you get several hundred tasks. We are exploring ways to make this more efficient. In the meantime, you could use your web browsers built in search, or use our advanced search page.
dg

Posted: Sep 02, 2009
I've been reducing the number of tasks -- down from 300+ to about 230 now and it seems to be getting faster (not sure if there's any TD changes behind the scenes). I found that I'd developed a bad habit from the old days when I used Outlook and that I kept a lot of notes/reference data as Tasks because it sync'ed so well between my various computers/laptops/cell-phone. But I'm weeding out things that aren't true tasks.

Also, as a work around, I find that just hitting F5 clears the search and gets me going faster than anything.

Thx for all the attention...

-- dgg
dg

BTW, I was just watching the screen casts Proximo posted showing his setup and learned about the "r" shortcut key. Very helpful! I hadn't run across this before...not in the help file that I can see. A real gem, too, btw!
Proximo

@dave,

I got an email from screencast.com to tell me I reached my monthly bandwidth limit.

oops.
Anders

You should just put them on YouTube.
dg

Posted by Proximo:

I got an email from screencast.com to tell me I reached my monthly bandwidth limit.
oops.

Well it was nice while it lasted!

Seriously, it was very nice of you to post those...the screencast was definitely worth a thousand words. I'd read your previous posts on how your setup worked and would never have understood it, or gotten it's simple elegance, from those postings. In just a few seconds of visually seeing your setup, I grocked it immediately and it really opened my eyes to some huge improvements I could implement in my own approach.

So...thanks!

This message was edited Sep 02, 2009.
Anders

We're getting a bit off topic here, and Proximo must have a new month's worth of bandwidth now. It's only the 2nd.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.