ForumsQuestionsFeature Request User Ranking System

Feature Request User Ranking System
Proximo

Posted: Sep 01, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
OK,

We all appreciate the work that Toodledo puts into their service and how they listen to the end user.

I was wondering if we could somehow have a User Ranking System for all Feature Request that Toodledo is currently working on.

This is not to say that Toodledo will add every feature request we make. But for those feature request that Toodledo decides to add, I would love to have a User Ranking System, so that Toodledo can see the importance level of the request by it's users and the users can see what is coming.

An idea is to have a chart of the current user request that are in Que if you will. That way a user can check there to see if their idea is already something that has been requested and allow them to click on a vote button to show how important each feature request is on the user base.

I know this may sound like a crazy idea, but there are so many complaints on particular feature request that we know are in Que, but we get other functionality improvements introduced that are great, but not as important to the user community.

A "User Ranking System" will at least let us know how many others wish a particular feature was added.

The benefits would be:

1. Prevent useless post on feature request that have been made by many other users.

2. Have a clear understanding of where a feature request is on the que, based on it's ranking.

3. Allow users to see the direction Toodledo is going with feature enhancements.

Sorry if I open a can of worms here, I just find myself hoping certain functionality will eventually make their way to Toodledo, but deep down inside I am not sure if they will or when.

Maybe this is just crazy and I am a nut case.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion, but having feature requests voted on would decrease our freedom to work on what we want to work on. This freedom is important for our motivation and for our ability to react quickly to embrace new directions that we might want to go. Also, pre-announcing all our future feature enhancements would tip off our competitors.
Anders

I though he was asking for a way to rank users :)
Proximo

Posted: Sep 02, 2009
Jake,

That is understandable.

It would still be nice to see a ranking of feature request in the works by user votes. Since these feature request are already known to be in the works, it would be great to see how the users rank them.

I completely understand your point of view and I appreciate the detailed reply.

Just thinking out loud which usually get's me in trouble. :-)

Carry on soldier.....
lite1

Posted: Sep 07, 2009
Posted by Proximo:

I was wondering if we could somehow have a User Ranking System for all Feature Request that Toodledo is currently working on....

A "User Ranking System" will at least let us know how many others wish a particular feature was added.

The benefits would be:

1. Prevent useless post on feature request that have been made by many other users.

2. Have a clear understanding of where a feature request is on the que, based on it's ranking.

3. Allow users to see the direction Toodledo is going with feature enhancements.

Proximo ... I'd like the idea but to remove part of it and add parts. Remove that it is in the Cue and has some level of commitment from TD - Jake explained why.

What I'd like to see is more than a voting system for feature requests so that the user community would have more threads that are collaborative and evolve (or "kill") an idea. There was a thread http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1412/-11422/editing-multiple-tasks-without-a-search.html about started in Feb (with posts still added in July) that in my memory is a good example of dialogue and evolution. It regarded feature request for selecting multiple tasks/subtasks so that they all could be edited, or a command could be applied to all of them.

As a user group any feature request could/probably should be viewed through several filters: The general purpose of this would be to help users and perhaps TD determine how much of an impact would this have with perhaps some weighting toward the greatest good for the greatest number. Something that is likely to be used by virtually all users one or more times every time that they use TD and which say saves one second per use collectively saves many many hours of user time. It might not be particularly sexy, but it is a huge collective time saver. Recent changes to adding Folders for those who uses lots of Folders (I don't)is a partial example. Adding a keyboard shortcut for adding a Subtask would be a much better example if it were implemented.

1) Is the request unique to one part of TD (website; iPhone; Blackberry; FFgadget)?

2) What is the benefit of the feature? {Many features are requested and sometimes I have no idea of how one might use it and benefit from it. Nice if OP gives a clear example or two of the benefit and/or what perceived problem it is solving/addressing.)

3) Are there work-arounds? (Often TD allows addressing an issue in a simple manner, and the OP simply needs to learn more, experiment, or get a good suggestion from the community of how to work with the issue. Certainly, there are many features that only have cumbersome, or no reasonably satisfactory work-around. The community can really address this and often does.)

4) In what circumstances, how frequently, and what kind of TD user and style of TD use are going to benefit from the feature? (I must admit to feeling some impatience with someone who has used TD for an hour or a day,who clearly has not read much or any of the Help area, and who is a free user listing one or many feature requests that can already be handled. Other knowledgeable users champion a request and have others support but rarely acknowledge that it has a very limited scope of use.)

For the most part, I find the user community and the discussion of feature requests to be at a high level of civlity, respect, and collaborative evolvement toward either a solution or the best statement of what is being requested/why/ and some suggested ideas for implementation. I'd expect that those threads of the greatest value (and time savings) to TD and their development choices.

Final note: While I have focused on time savings and I believe it deserves a significant weighting, there are also feature requests that instead or in addition relieve a lot of frustration. The recent request which only applies to Pro Plus subscribers that there be a way to delete multiple file attachments is both a time saver and given that most users have vast experience with deleting in other progs from Windows Explorer to Email that the lack of this feature in TD is probably quite frustrating. Other feature requests take TD would take TD into new territory and perhaps add very appealing functionality that would open doorways for many TD users e.g. better integration with say MindMapping apps.

Sorry for such a long post.
Edward
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.