ForumsQuestionsFlattened vs. Indented

Flattened vs. Indented
Proximo

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have a Parent Task (Project) with a context of Personal.

I have 4 subtask that make up this project and some have different context.

When I view my task by Context, I can't see any of the subtask of a project without using the "Flattened" option.

The problem with this is that I want to always see my Projects with the "Indented" option.

Some context are location specific and some are resource specific. So when I look at the Context "Personal" I can see all my Actions, Projects, Waiting For folders. Just the way I expect.

But I can't have subtask with different context and view them with the correct context view. I must change back to Flattened to make it work.

Is there a fix in the works for this?

I guess the simple way to say it is this. Can we have subtask show up in the correct context view regardless if we have the flattened or indented option selected. If the subtask has a context, it should show up in that context at all times.
Anders

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
What I do is Flatten views where I want to see actions regardless of where their parents (if any) may be, and then indent views where I want to see whole projects together. I think the current scheme works pretty well. However, it could be improved. I have been thinking about something that would work for people with this issue, and related issues like the one in this recent thread: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3091/0/subtask-views.html
My idea comes from the Windows Mobile version of Pocket Informant which uses hierarchical tasks. They use a feature they call "Forced Tasks". Basically, if you want to see subtasks in a view that they would fit in, but a view that their parents would not fit in (for example Overdue, if the subtask is overdue, but the parent is not or has no Due Date), Forced Tasks allow you to see the subtasks anyway. How it works is that the parent is included in the view (and therefore the subtask as well), but it is grayed out to show that it is only in the view as a Forced Task because it has subtasks that belong in the view. Something like this on Toodledo would be very cool, and would solve a lot of people's issues with subtask display.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 09, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
benny

+1 - that was my main issue with task/subtask. I would give it a shot again if I could guarantee that I'd always see subtasks that matched my saved search criteria.

benster
Proximo

@Anders,

Do you sit around and think stuff up. :-)

You must be some Cyborg with future technology installed in your brain.

This message was edited Sep 09, 2009.
Anders

Someday, Proximo, someday...
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.