ForumsQuestionsPlans to keep classic view?

Plans to keep classic view?
Chris

Posted: Jun 24, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
It seems like the classic view is on the way out, however it is the view I like the best. I know you can currently switch to the classic view, but you can't default to it and it goes away when you resort.

I liked the classic view since it was simple and easy to look it. I am seriously considering some other task list because I don't use it as much without the classic view.

Can you please make the classic view a permanent option?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are slowly switching away from the classic view because it is not possible to retrofit some of our new functionality (subtasks for example) into the old interface.

Is there anything specific about classic that makes you like it better?
Chris

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Here is why I like the classic over the main:
- Adding a task takes only one click, instead of two
- Modifying priority takes only one click, instead of two

Those are the 2 usability issues that are making me want to seek an alternative.

In general, I prefer the simple look of the classic view, but I can live with the look of the main view if the usability issues were resolved.

Are there plans to address the usability issues I mentioned?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 25, 2008
Yes, we are aware that a few actions take 2 clicks instead of 1, but we think that an extra click is very little price to pay for the advantages that this gives us (namely fast page loads).

We wrote an entire article about the trade offs which you can read here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/news_200708.php

We will continue to explore efficiency improvements, but I hope that this helps explain our decision.
Chris

Posted: Jun 25, 2008
Thanks for the explanation, I never stumbled upon the article in the link, but very informative. It looks like I am the perfect example of your 'Old Assumptions'.

Looking forward to seeing more improvements.
faye

Posted: Jun 26, 2008
It's only in Classic view in Firefox that I'm able to change folders and priority. Otherwise in the Main view the drop-down selections are unavailable. It works fine in Safari. Am I missing something?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 27, 2008
When you are in the Main view, if you want to change the priority or folder, just click on it and the drop-down selections will appear.

Hope that helps
ct

Posted: Jul 03, 2008
I cannot figure out a way to configure any of the new views to look like how the classic view looks:

1. Hotlist - single line view at top of page
2. Task entry bar below hotlist
3. Vertical list of folders (closed) which expands to show all items in that folder sorted by priority when clicked (below task entry bar).

Why can't we have a view like Classic that incorporates the new functionalities?
Qrystal

Posted: Jul 09, 2008
re: ct

I can answer how to do #3:
- Sort a list of tasks by folder, and you can click on the folder heading to minimize/maximize the list of tasks.
- Set the secondary sort criteria to priority.

I can see how #2 could be nice, having a task entry field somewhere without requiring a click. BUT WAIT! You still have to click on the task entry field!! Clicking on Add Task automatically puts the cursor into the text field, so there's no effort saved... just space on the page. So I take it back: I don't see how #2 would add much.

I also went to check out Classic view, and I do think (first impression) it looks better than the non-Classic Grid view. It seems to fit more into the width of the screen. It definitely feels much slower, though!! (I prefer Multi-Line anyways.. I was just looking out of curiosity!)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.