ForumsQuestionsis this intended functionality?

is this intended functionality?
IceHeartX

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
create a task and set it to repeat daily.
create another task and set it to repeat daily.
create a third task and set it to not repeat.

drag the second and third task to be sub tasks of the first task.

you now have a repeating parent task with one repeating and one not repeating child.

click the checkmark to show that you have completed the parent task.

doing so marks the non-repeating child task as complete, duplicates the parent task (tomorrow's version, it's repeating correctly) and - somehow - moves the repeating child task to the new instance of the parent.

1) is marking a parent done supposed to automatically mark all it's children?

2) if it is supposed to mark all children as done, then why doesn't it dupe the repeating child and leave a "finished" copy in the original task?
Anders

1) Yes
2) That's how repeating tasks work. I'm not really sure what else you might have expected. There is a good explanation of how repeating subtasks work on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

Edit: Wait a minute I just reread your post. Are you saying that the repeating subtask was not regenerated under the parent, or that the completed copy was not left under the completed parent?

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009.
IceHeartX

Posted by Anders:
1) Yes
2) That's how repeating tasks work. I'm not really sure what else you might have expected. There is a good explanation of how repeating subtasks work on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

Edit: Wait a minute I just reread your post. Are you saying that the repeating subtask was not regenerated under the parent, or that the completed copy was not left under the completed parent?

I would have expected that I'd have a completed repeating child task in the original parent task (behaviour similar to what happened with the non-repeating child) and a new one in the new instance.

but no, I end up with two parents and only one of them has the repeating sub task.
IceHeartX

http://twitpic.com/hbv80

so, task 1 was my original parent, subtask with repeat and subtask without repeat were added at the same time, then I clicked complete - which created a new task 1

then I added taskb to the new instance of task 1 (which at the time contained subtask with repeat) and clicked complete on the task 1 instance. the result is in the screenshot.

I'd have expected 2 more instances of subtask with repeat that I'm not seeing.

EDIT: formatting for ease of reading.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009.
Anders

Interesting. I never noticed that. You are right. The repeating subtask is not even marked complete as it should be. It is carried forward with its original Due Date. I don't believe that is how it is supposed to work. FYI, you can just use repeat with parent for that particular task. However, there is something weird about that behavior.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
That might be the intended behavior, I can't remember. I'll have to look into this.
gpzbc

Posted: Sep 12, 2009
I'm posting my question here because it is somewhat related. I'm having a hard time understanding subtasks behavior.

I have a parent task set to repeat daily. If I add multiple child task with no due date, will they follow the parent task?

For example: My parent task is "job search". My child tasks are particular job listings. As I search for a job at each site which is represented by a child task, I mark it as completed. However, at the end of the day, I mark job search completed regardless of how many child tasks I have actually completed.

In doing that I would like to start over with a fresh slate the next day. I would like the "job search" parent task to be intact with all of the original child tasks.

How do I accomplish this? I doesn't seem like I would need to assign due dates to all of the child tasks. Am I wrong?

Thanks
gpzbc

I may have figured it out.

It seems like the way to accomplish my set-up is to add child tasks with no due date, but set to repeat daily.

Here is what I am thinking will work:

Parent task --- due today --- repeat daily
child task --- no due date --- repeat daily
child task --- no due date --- repeat daily

It seems to me that it would be more intuitive for the child task to default to the parent task settings unless otherwise specified.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2009.
Anders

It might be easier to just set your subtasks to repeat "with parent".

Also, you should really read the section called "Repeating Tasks with Subtasks" on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php
It explains all of this pretty well.

However, the more I think about the more the issue reported by IceHeartX seems like a bug. I am almost certain that it did not operate this way in the past. When the parent task is marked complete, a repeating subtask should be marked complete and regenerated within its repeating parent, it shouldn't just be carried forward, uncompleted. That violates the rule that completing a task completes all of its subtasks as well. As I write this, something else strikes me though. Maybe this is the only way to do it. If a repeating subtask is marked complete, and regenerates, it will have to appear within the current parent (because there isn't a next one yet), so it would have to be carried forward without additional completion when the parent is finally completed. I think I just confused myself, and will leave this alone now.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2009.
gpzbc

Yes, repeat "with parent" is precisely what I need.
Yes, the section called "Repeating Tasks with Subtasks" answers all of my questions.
Yes, I'm a moron.
Yes, you have been very patient and helpful

Thanks.
Anders

don't be so hard on yourself. Toodledo has an immense set of capabilities, and you can't pick everything up from just trying stuff out. That's what makes these forums so useful.
IceHeartX

Posted: Sep 13, 2009
to chime in with my thanks too anders, your links have come in handy for me in a couple contexts.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.