ForumsQuestionsProject Management

Project Management
tbaker

Posted: Sep 13, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi Everyone,
I'm a huge fan of Toodledo for Task management. I've put just about my whole life into it.

I'm finding more and more that I want to use it for basic task management. I'd love to be able to do some, if not all of the following...

- Task Dependancy, Have a task dependant on another task's completion
- Delegate Tasks (Can kindof be done now, I use Tag for assignment)
- Nested Tasks, Currently subtasks are limited to One level.
- Task Completion Percentage rollup. Have tasks have a "Percentage Complete" and have it roll up to list how % complete a parent task is.
- View Tasks by assignment (again, can somewhat be done now if you use Tag as assigned person)

I know toodledo is a task management system, but I see huge potential for it to fit Project management as well. Is this the intended roadmap for the system, or should I be looking at other packages?
Proximo

Posted: Sep 14, 2009
@tbaker,

Many already use Toodledo for Task Management as well as Project Management. I understand that high level projects would require something like Microsoft Project, but most small projects can be done with Toodledo right now.

Toodledo is working on some updates to support projects better and some of your points have already been talked about in the past.

Task Dependancy - This has been requested by others and I believe Toodledo is looking into it.

Delegate Tasks - There is a Delegate option under the Status column.

Nested Task - Toodledo already said they are considering adding another level to sub-task.

Task Completion Percentage - This has also been mentioned before, but not sure if it works with Toodledo. Task percentage would be nice but not sure if it's something Toodledo would be doing. Using GTD, it's not that important for me anymore.

View task by assignment - I don't use the Collaboration functions of the Pro account, so I don't know what you can and can't do. I am sure Anders will kick in here and clear this one up.
tbaker

Proximo,
Thanks for the reply. I am able to fit very small projects into the Toodledo model, basically large tasks that use sub-tasks.

If Toodledo adds another layer of subtasks, that should pretty much open up the ability to create as many task "layers" as necessary, as once something has the ability to be both a parent and a child, it can recurse infinitely. Whether the developers decide for that to be handled, and thus displayed, nicely is a whole other story.

With regards to "view tasks by assignment" I was thinking more along the lines of have all your resources lised on the top, or in a side pane and click them to have their delegated tasks highlighted in the whole project view. Having this would help see where it fits into the whole project. Currently leveraging the Task based system using Tags as the name of the 'delege' the only way to call out the persons tasks is to move away from seeing the whole project as well.

Again, all of these are ideas if Toodledo is moving in a Project oriented direction. I understand that that might not be the case and my thoughts might be better suited for another project, no pun intended.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are planning to add more project management features as we mature, but we want to do so in a way that does not increase complexity, since we already have a bit of feature overload as it is.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
One way to deal with the abundance of features might be to have a sort of master Account Setting that you would have to set when you join. I am imagining something with options like: power user, collaboration, basic todo list, GTD, etc. The setting could set default fields and functions, and possibly even limit the number of options directly accessible. Just a thought.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Proximo

Posted: Sep 15, 2009
Posted by Anders:
One way to deal with the abundance of features might be to have a sort of master Account Setting that you would have to set when you join. I am imagining something with options like: power user, collaboration, basic todo list, GTD, etc. The setting could set default fields and functions, and possibly even limit the number of options directly accessible. Just a thought.

+1

This would be great.
tbaker

Posted: Sep 15, 2009
I could also see this working well, though it wouldn't help me much as I've already configure my account ;-)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.