ForumsQuestionsRepeat Tasks keep disappearing

Repeat Tasks keep disappearing
scottnwdw

Posted: Sep 14, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Lately whenver I mark a repeating task as complete on my iPhone, after syncing, the tasks get deleted on the Web App of Toodledo, however they stay in my Pocket Informant App. Pocket Informant is working just fine, the tasks remain there correctly. On the Web side, none of my daily repeating tasks are there. If I re-create them on the Web app, I then have duplicates on the iPhone.

as I stated, I am using the latest version of POCKET INFORMANT for iPhone. Everything was working great up until this month. At the beginning of the month I had this same issue, I restored everything and now as of yesterday (9/13) it'shappening again. What is going on?
Anders

I'm not sure what's going on, but a couple of people have reported weird sync issues with PI and repeating tasks lately. The best thing to do would be to start a support ticket with WebIS, or try posting in their forum since this is something that PI controls, and Toodledo can't really do anything about it.
http://www.pocketinformant.com/sup/support_request_iphone.php
http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?showforum=61
There are a few things you might want to check first on Toodledo if you have not already. Is your timezone set correctly in your Toodledo Account Settings? Is it possible that you are not seeing the recurring tasks due to some filter on the website (such as hide future tasks, etc.)? If you check those out, and they don't appear to be involved, WebIS will have to explain what is going on. Incidentally, repeating tasks appear to be working fine for me in PI, so you may want to give WebIS as much specific detail about these tasks as possible, since I am guessing it must be related to specific types of repeats.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009.
scottnwdw

In PI on the iPhone the tasks are working fine. They are STILL THERE. It's on the Toodledo Website that they are missing.

BTW,whenever I ask a question on the PI forums, The matra lately at WebIS is that it is fixed in version 1.1. Well that has been going on for months now, so as far as 1.1 goes, it's sounding a lot lake vaporware.
Anders

I understand what you are saying, that they are correct in PI, but getting deleted on Toodledo. However, though it may not be intuitive, this actually must be an issue with PI. Toodledo has an API that these apps use to share data with the website, and there are very simple commands allowing third party apps to tell Toodledo to add, delete or change a task. So if completing a repeating task in PI causes it to be deleted on Toodledo, that is because PI is telling Toodledo to delete the task. Either that, or PI is failing to tell Toodledo that it is a repeating task, so when it is completed it is not regenerated. (You may be able to see what is going on by checking your recently deleted tasks in your Account Settings. If none of these tasks are there, then they were never considered repeating tasks on Toodledo). By the way, I know people have been waiting for PI 1.1 for a while, but they are getting ready to send it to Apple any day now.
IceHeartX

the way repeats work is that another instance of the original task is created *when you mark a task complete*. But it looks like if you do it in PI rather than on the site that "create the next instance" event isn't happening, it's just being marked done, so it looks like your event isn't repeating.

as a PI user I've just stopped using PI as read/write and only use it to check on my list. If I need to edit a task I do it in toodledo's app. I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Repeating tasks, strangeness when changing status
(ok, so you can see what I mean here's a fun bug, totally PI not TD)

my "next actions" list has 5 things on it. I go into the list and edit one of the items, removing the status. then I go back to the list. The list will still have 5 items on it, one of which wasn't showing before, and the one i just edited is no longer on the list.

So I say "Hrm". and go edit another item, again changing the status. This time when I go out to the list again the item i just edited is gone, but the first item I edited is now back with next action status.

For the longest time I thought it was PI trying to be helpful by making sure I always had some next actions, but have since come to the conclusion that it is simply a bug. Perhaps something to do with the way that PI stores changes in memory between syncs. I've noticed that this behaviour happens most often when I've got under 15 meg of RAM free on my ipod.

Glad to hear about PI 1.1 though, I really like their presentation and would love it more in landscape.
Anders

I can't explain the repeating weirdness, but I do know what's happening with your Next Actions. PI has what they call "business logic" built into their GTD system. Basically, every Project in PI (Folder on Toodledo) has to have one, and may only have one, Next Action. That Next Action is determined by what is the first task listed in that Project in PI's manually sorted Project view. Basically, you're supposed to put tasks in the order in which they need to be completed. That way, you finish the one at the top, and the next one down automatically becomes Next Action. However, many Toodledoers like myself, who use Folders as broader areas of organization do not find such behavior logical. There are also many people who feel GTD does not forbid multiple Next Actions. Anyway, in response to these things, PI 1.1 is introducing a new mode called "Toodledo mode" in addition to the current GTD and Franklin Covey modes. The new mode will remove the business logic, so Next Actions will not be messed with and will sync properly with Toodledo. It will also remove the current Tag to Calendar mapping that is so awkward for people who use multiple Tags on Toodledo (we still won't get Tags in PI, but maybe someday).
Anyway, if you could tell me how to make PI fail syncing a repeat, I'd be very interested to know.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.