ForumsQuestionsAbility to add task due / reminder in terms of a time increment?

Ability to add task due / reminder in terms of a time increment?
Masonfoley

Posted: Sep 15, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I've posted before that I think the reminder mechanism is a bit awkward and I understand this area of the system will be reviewed for possible improvements in the future.

Might I suggest the ability to add a task due time where a user simply inputs a shorthand value like "+3H" which would be interpreted as "3 hours from the current time" and automatically populate the due time data with this calculation?

For example, it is now 12:00 noon, I have a phone call I promised to make in 2 hours. So I add a task by simply entering +2H. That means, today, at 2 O'clock.

Furthermore, I would request a default "lead reminder" time increment rather than to have to manually set the reminder time. So in the above scenario, I would get a reminder, today at 1:50 PM if I were to choose in my configuration "10 minutes" lead time.

Other scenarios would cover other increments like so:

+1w = 1 week from current time
+3d = 3 days from current time
+2m = 2 months from current time (i.e. a doctor's appt).
+1y = 1 year from current time.

Note that I say "current time" instead of "current date". I would assume "current date" would be 12 midnight of the target date in question. Perhaps this could be configurable too. In other words, would I want the time value increment to calculate from the current timestamp or would I want it to calculate from midnight of the current date to midgnight of the target date? +3d from today's date (09/15/2009) could either be 09/18/2009 @ midnight (from current date) or it could be 09/18/2009 @ 1:06 PM (from current time).

Again, it would be nice if there was an option to automatically have reminders default to a value. This leads to more efficient data entry in my opinion and doesn't require me to take that little awkward step of calculating when I want the reminder to go off.
Anders

You can set a default reminder time. Go to your Account Settings->New Task Defaults, then choose your default value for the reminder field. Then whenever you create a new task on the website, it will automatically use that lead time unless you change it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.