ForumsQuestionsHow to track Continuous Goals

How to track Continuous Goals
salilsurendran

Posted: Oct 01, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hello Friends,
I was wondering how would one track continuous goals using tooledo. For eg. Going to the Gym at least 4 times a week contributes to my life time goal of having a good physique. But how do we represent this in tooledo. Is it like you create a single task for a week titled 'Gym for the 2nd week of October' or create 4 seperate tasks?
Anders

You could set up a lifelong Goal for having a good physique, and then create either a short or long term Goal of go to the gym 4 times a week. Then you could have a go to the gym task (probably with a daily repeating optional Due Date).

The optimal way might be to have a tepeating task of go to the gym 4 times a week, and then have four subtasks or a repeating subtask of work out at the gym. That would require a Pro account though, but it would be nice for tracking. Pro accounts also allow you to track your goals by showing chains. Anyway, please let me know if that answered your question.
Anders

By the way, there are several good discussions of Goal use to be found around the forums. Here is one: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/2258/0/goals-how-do-you-use-them.html
marax

Posted: Oct 04, 2009
I have related concern. I'll use salilsurendran example.
I have repeating task that every Tuesday and Thursday I go to gym. This activity support my goal.
What if I miss to go to gym 1 time or two times on specific week. I need to track it somehow. I cannot check it as 'done' because I was not there, but on the other hand I need to check a task because the a task will be then automatically repeated for next date. How to handle this scenario?

Thanks Pavel
Anders

If you change the Due Date to due "optionally on", then the task will be moved forward even if it is not completed. The other way you can do it is to mark the task complete to generate the repeat, and then immediately remove the check mark, and use the Notes field, Tag field, or Status (Canceled or something like that) to designate the task as not done.
marax

Thanks Anders for suggestions!
I'm going to test it. My concern was also related if the such task will be reported in 'Goal Chain' as completed or not.
But I'll test it.
marax

Just tested to check task as completed and then delete it.
This way, in goal page task is encountered and reported on goal page and shows up in Chain. Task is also removed at all. No next repeating action.
I'm going to test puttin Optional date so let's see. In few days I'll get back.

Pavel
marax

Posted: Oct 05, 2009
Just quick comment about result of my test.
If I set due date 'Optional' then it works the way I want.
If I miss optional date - task is repeated as per repeat settings and it is not reported as 'completed' in goal view. If I complete a task with optional date then is reported.
Excellent!

Thanks!

Pavel
salilsurendran

Posted: Nov 19, 2009
How do i set context to my tasks? Also lets say I have a task that says 'study for 15 mins a day' which repeats daily. But also a goal to say complete a chapter by 'Dec 1st'. Studying for 15 mins a day will help me complete a chapter by Dec 1st but even after that the task of studying for 15 mins a day will continue. How will I organize a task like that should like completing a chapter be a goal with like the repeating task of studying for 15 mins a day and then after that is achieved create a new task for studying?
salilsurendran

Posted: Nov 20, 2009
I have added a lot of tasks that are recurring. However, i would like to color these tasks with a different color than other tasks that are non-recurring. Is there a way to do that.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 20, 2009
There is not a way to do this, but thanks for the suggestion.
salilsurendran

Posted: Nov 27, 2009
Another thing is once I set an optional due date on for a task, as soon as the day is over the task is removed. Sometimes I complete the task very late at night and don't mark it as complete till the next day. I can't find the task anywhere on the list since it has been removed. Is there are a way to retrieve this task and mark it as complete.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 28, 2009
Unfortunately, no there isn't. If you need to keep a record of completing it, you can just create the task again and then immediately complete it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.