ForumsQuestionsSuggestion: Tag Field

Suggestion: Tag Field
DJ

Posted: Jul 11, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
How about making the Tag field an editable drop down list? By that I mean, I'd like to pick from a list of existing tags or make a new entry when I click the tag field. A drop down list would help to prevent typos, thus protecting the integrity of the data.

Huge Toodledo fan! -- DJ
Jeremy

Very good idea, would work like the Context drop down. Can we make it free entry and/or drop down?
Josh

I second this one.
Qrystal

Actually, there are so many different ways users may be using tags, so a context menu could get really cumbersome.

May I suggest/request maybe an auto-complete option for tags? So when we start typing, we see a popup list of other tags starting with those letters. Then I'd never again have to wonder what I decided to call my "organize" tag: organizing? organization? gahhh~! :P
Josh

@Qrystal

That seems to be the way a lot of webapps handle tags, I think it is the best way to do it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Auto-complete is the way that we want to enhance tag entry in the future. It's on our to-do list.

Thanks
jdoree

Posted: Jul 12, 2008
I agree that the auto-complete should be the next step.
InfoJeff

Posted: Jul 18, 2008
I agree that auto-complete would make the tag field more useful. I did not use tags at first because of the potential for creating multiple similar tags (which then of course would not be related and break their association with each other).

I use tags heavily in Google Bookmarks (they call them "labels") to assign bookmarks to "research projects". It makes it so I can create new groupings on the fly or combine a bookmark with an existing group by just starting to type and choosing from what appears.

Please add this functionality since it would allow new inexperienced users to get started with projects, goals, and contexts by just creating tags as they think of them instead of needing to pre-populate the projects, goals, and contexts lists before assigning to a task.

With this added functionality, tags may even be a better solution for simple projects, goals, and contexts that may only have a few tasks.
J-Mac

Posted: Jul 18, 2008
I like the auto-complete idea.

At first blush, it seems to be not as good as a drop-down, but if anyone here is using Highrise, the Contacts Manager from 37 Signals, the auto-complete feature they use for tags is super.

I'm definitely aboard for this one.

Jim
joberg

Posted: Jul 23, 2008
I am a big user of tags, but they would work so much better with a better interface. Have you seen the way Del.icio.us does tags? It suggests a pick list of likely tags, all you have to do is choose a bunch that work. The current Toodledo design is ok for applying single tags, but breaks down when you want to assign multiple tags to the same task. Another nice feature in Del.icio.us and other sites is the tag cloud: bigger tags (larger font) have more items, and they're listed alphabetically.

- JB
whitten

Posted: Jul 23, 2008
I like the way that tags can be created on the fly to be whatever I want them to be. They are like dynamically created folders for me.

Has the character limit for tags been a hindrance to anyone else? I add several tags, some of which can be long.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.