ForumsQuestionsWho are you? :-)

Who are you? :-)
philippo

Posted: Oct 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,
forgive me for being so distrustful - but I shall store my data on your system and shall agree to your terms despite the fact that I do not know at all who is the other party in this agreement - that appears somehow strange to me.
I would expect some sort of company information on your site - not only that it sort of strengthens trust in whom you sign up to; an imprint with a complete company address is mandatory for a commercial website in most european coutries. Ok, I guess you are an american company - but I dont see even that on your site... ;-)

Kind regards from Austria (the land of Mozartkugels)
Philipp
Claudio

Posted: Oct 04, 2009
Hi Philipp.

While you're waiting for an answer from Toodledo, you might be interested in these two links:

1. The creator and developer of Toodledo: http://www.jakeo.com/about.php

2. Info on where and how your data is stored and maintained: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/2581/0/toodledo-migrating-to-new-servers.html
Proximo

Posted: Oct 05, 2009
Good reply Claudio,

I do see philippo's point. I guess an "About Us" section that is easy to reach would help.
Kenny Schiff

Posted: Oct 05, 2009
Philippo... there is something inherently trustworthy and stable about this site and the application in general. I used Nozbe previously, and I always felt that there was something very unstable about what they were putting together.
haeffb

Posted: Oct 06, 2009
If your todo list includes things like "Rob First National Bank and Trust on Tuesday" and "Overthrow the Swedish Government on Thursday at 2pm" I would suggest avoiding any on-line todo list.

If they are the more normal, "Get milk and bread on the way home," then security is probably not an issue.
replytoken

Posted by haeffb:
If your todo list includes things like "Rob First National Bank and Trust on Tuesday" and "Overthrow the Swedish Government on Thursday at 2pm" I would suggest avoiding any on-line todo list.

If they are the more normal, "Get milk and bread on the way home," then security is probably not an issue.

Don't you think that you should allow more than one day, Wednesday, to get from the First National Bank to Stockholm? I mean, given how the airlines are operating these days, it only seems prudent. ;)

In all seriousness, while Philipp asks a very reasonable question, there seems to be very little in the way of real assurance with almost any "cloud computing" service. And, I am not certain that data is anymore at risk with a small company than it is with a large corporation. So, I think that we each need to weight the probability of data loss/theft and its impact damage against the convenience of the service being offered. The fact that I have a subscription account should tell you how I made my decision. But then again, I do not plan to overthrow any governments or rob banks. My wife would be so angry with me if I was late for dinner, and you know those airlines!

--Ken
benny

I trust Toodledo but that doesn't mean that I don't perform an XML backup of my tasks every night. That way if something happens I can massage it into a format I can import into something else should the time come. In today's cloud-based world it's only prudent to think along those lines. Now, having said that, I just check it once in while (with a repeating task) to make sure that the backup is getting done correctly and that it makes its way to a directory where CrashPlan can pick it up and send it to my backup buddies. I'm not worried about Jake and compared to the task webapp I came from he's an open book regarding improvements and the site in general. Seems like a really nice guy, too.

benster
Claudio

I think that a few of you are missing Philipp's point. It's not just about data security.

Toodledo provides absolutely no information about who they are or where they are located, and yet, they ask users to agree to Terms and Conditions of Site Use, http://www.toodledo.com/info/terms.php, including statements like this:
Use of our web site is at all times "at your own risk." If you are dissatisfied with any of the materials, other contents of the web site, any of these terms and conditions, the web site's privacy policy, or any other policies, your only remedy is to discontinue use of our web site. In no event shall the web site, or its suppliers, be liable to any user or third party, for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use or inability to use the web site or the material on that site, whether based on warranty, contract, tort, or any other legal theory, and whether or not the web site is advised of the possibility of such damages.
How can any of the above have any legal significance unless we know who is responsible for the website?

As Philipp points out, the complete company address is mandatory for a commercial website in most European countries. See here: http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=72502

This message was edited Oct 06, 2009.
Vin Thomas

I don't think Jake (aka Toodledo) is trying to hide who he is. It has been mentioned several times on this forum.
Anders

Posted by Vin Thomas:
I don't think Jake (aka Toodledo) is trying to hide who he is. It has been mentioned several times on this forum.

I agree with this completely, but I also think an "about us" page of some kind is a very good idea. It might also be a more appropriate place for some information that is already elsewhere like this for instance: http://www.toodledo.com/info/green.php and maybe the contact us links too.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 07, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. We do plan to have an about us page in the future, but to be honest, when you look behind the curtain, it's pretty boring.
Claudio

Thanks Jake.

And, if your comment about being boring is what I think it is -- an honest, humble, self-appraisal -- then I suggest you find an associate who can add some excitement to your company. Unless you think that "boring" is something that will attract more users to Toodledo ...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
Like other tech companies, we are just nerds sitting at computers. The product is interesting, and that is what matters.
Proximo

I know some of you where kidding with the security of the site, but as a Plus user, you do get HTTPS Security for all your task.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.