ForumsQuestionsHow do you delete "tags"

How do you delete "tags"
Kenny Schiff

Posted: Oct 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Simply put, I want to delete a tag and no longer have it part of my "system."

I experimented with tags early on, then abandoned, only now wanting to return. I had an item with a tag, which by design created a "tag" folder for that "tag." I want to get rid of that tag so that it no longer shows as a folder. Is there a way to do that once a tag is created? I removed it from the original item so that is has no tag in that field.
Anders

If the Tag is no longer present on any tasks, there should no longer be a tab for it in Tag view. If you still see one, either Toodledo has not caught up to the situation yet, or you still have tasks with that Tag. I would try a search for all tasks with that Tag to see if you find anything.
acheri

my personal experience is that when you remove tag from all items/tasks with specific tag, folder will disappear on its own

.. Anders was quicker:-)

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009.
Proximo

Posted: Oct 21, 2009
Just to add something.

If you have many task with a particular tag and want to either remove the tag or rename the tag.

Use the custom search and search by the tag you want. Once it finds all the task related to that tag, you can choose Multi-Edit.

If you remove the tag text (Leave it blank) it will remove the tag from all related task and delete the tag itself.

You can also choose a new tag name to replace the old tag with the new one.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2009.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Just be careful with multiedit and Tags. There is no way to add a Tag to everything in the search without replacing all existing Tags for those tasks. There is also no way to remove just one specific Tag from all tasks without removing all tags. Basically with multiedit and Tags, whatever you put in the multiedit Tag field will be exactly/only what you will see in the Tag field of every task in the search after completing the edit.
Proximo

Posted by Anders:
Just be careful with multiedit and Tags. There is no way to add a Tag to everything in the search without replacing all existing Tags for those tasks. There is also no way to remove just one specific Tag from all tasks without removing all tags. Basically with multiedit and Tags, whatever you put in the multiedit Tag field will be exactly/only what you will see in the Tag field of every task in the search after completing the edit.

I don't see any confusion with this functionality.

If I wanted to get rid of a tag called "Home" that may be used in 50+ task. Searching by "Home" tag will only show me the task that have that tag. By using Multi-Edit and replacing that tag with another would signify to me that the "Home" tag would be deleted as I intended. If I leave the tag field empty, the "Home" tag would be removed from all task and removed from tag view.

Again, this is how I expect it to work.

Just saying. :-)
Anders

Score: 2 Reference
The problem comes in if you use multiple Tags. For instance, say I have Tags A, B, and C. I want to find every task with B and remove that Tag, so I search for it. The results are:
Task 1 Tags: A, B
Task 2 Tags: B
Task 3 Tags: B, C
There is no way with multiedit to remove Tag B from all these tasks without also removing Tag A from Task 1 and removing Tag C from Task 3.
Similarly, if I instead wanted to add a new Tag, "D" to all three of those tasks, I could not use multiedit, or it would remove the A, B, and C Tags leaving only Tag D present for the three tasks.
Proximo

Posted: Oct 22, 2009
Posted by Anders:
The problem comes in if you use multiple Tags. For instance, say I have Tags A, B, and C. I want to find every task with B and remove that Tag, so I search for it. The results are:
Task 1 Tags: A, B
Task 2 Tags: B
Task 3 Tags: B, C
There is no way with multiedit to remove Tag B from all these tasks without also removing Tag A from Task 1 and removing Tag C from Task 3.
Similarly, if I instead wanted to add a new Tag, "D" to all three of those tasks, I could not use multiedit, or it would remove the A, B, and C Tags leaving only Tag D present for the three tasks.

Got it.

I don't use multiple tags, so I was not thinking about that scenario.

Thanks
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.