ForumsQuestionsHow to make tasks into subtasks in another folder

How to make tasks into subtasks in another folder
Gordon

Posted: Oct 25, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Confusing description I know. Here's what I mean with an example.

I have a GTD implementation, all projects are tasks, with subtasks representing actions to complete the task.

When I am out and about (I use it via toodledo app on Iphone) I make a task, but I do not have time to:

1. find project action relates to
2. make subtask from that project

My question is this: How do I take all the tasks that I currently have in my Action folder and make them subtasks of tasks held in the Project folder?

I can't seem to find a way. If they appear in the same window, I can drag-and-drop, but what if they are in different contexts and folders? At no time will they ever appear on the same screen to do the dragging trick.

Hope you can help,

Katou
Anders

Posted: Oct 25, 2009
If I understand you correctly, the best way to go may be to set up a saved search that returns all tasks from the Action Folder that are not subtasks, and also returns all parent tasks in the Projects folder. Then when you return to the website, you will have a place where you can drag all the new tasks into their projects.

Another way to go (a better way if you have stand alone tasks in your Actions Folder that you do not want to assign to any project) would be to Tag these tasks added on the iPhone (you could even set it as a default Tag if you almost always add tasks in this manner on the iPhone). Then you could have your saved search show all parent tasks from Projects and all tasks Tagged with the special Tag.

Edit: Also, if you want to do it without a saved search, I would probably go to an "All Tasks" list (like "All Tasks" in the Main view, or "Any Folder" in Folder view), sort by Folder, and then collapse all dividers except for Projects and Actions, and hide subtasks. That should make drag and drop easier.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2009.
Gordon

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
Dude, you're a genius. Anyone can make it complicated (I'm really good at that) but it takes major experience to make it simple.

Thanks. BTW, the last suggestion that you made is the keeper. Gets the job done, with no added steps to the way I want to work.

Katou

ps. for brevity I post Iphone, but in fact, I use a Touch as my PDA
Proximo

Posted: Oct 27, 2009
I usually just find the task in question, change it's folder to "Projects" and go to my Projects folder. From there I drag and drop it where I need it.

I keep things simple. :-)
Gordon

Posted: Oct 29, 2009
Oh dear oh dear. That didn't work. I tried all the methods you suggested, and the solutions were not good.

You see, the problem is that the Actions folder has, like 100 tasks in it. The Projects context is also large, but not as many by far.

The search worked, as did the "all tasks and collapse" plan. The actions tasks and the project tasks all appeared in the window.

Here's the problem: The actions list is like 3 screens long, moving each task would take about 30 seconds.

If this is the only way, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet this time to clean up, and then do the clean up more regularly.

Katou
Anders

Posted: Oct 29, 2009
Have you considered using the Status field to designate actions and projects, and using Folders for categories? That would make this considerably easier it seems to me. Here is another idea. In your search, go through and Star all the orphan tasks and the Projects they are to be added to. You could then sort by star to group them all together, drag and drop, thenremove the Stars.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.