ForumsQuestionsInstant Messaging?

Instant Messaging?
isiemt

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I'm still new, and trying to figure out all options. I'd appreciate if someone can tell me how I can add, remove, and manage tasks via instant messaging (IM), and SMS.

Also, can I use "human language" when defining dates (tomorrow, next monday)?

Thanks!
Anders

Adding tasks via instant message or SMS can be accomplished using Toodledo's Twitter connection. You can set it up here: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_twitter.php
And the information on how to use it is here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_twitter.php
Basically you can use language like tomorrow to set a due date, but you need to use Toodledo's special syntax, which is described on that second page. The syntax element for Due Date is the "#" symbol for example. So you could send an SMS or IM to Toodledo with a task like "learn to use phone to add tasks #tomorrow" and the task will show up with a Due Date of tomorrow.

Retrieving tasks is also described in the help article I linked above, as is getting reminders through the Twitter connection. However there is no way to remove or edit tasks via SMS or IM. You can only retrieve and add them.

There is also a great email function that is very similar to the SMS and IM (but with a couple of extra perks) in case that interests you.

Let me know if you still have any questions after looking over that stuff.
Proximo

@Anders,

Not to get picky here bud. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Twitter is NOT Instant Messaging. Grrrr..

sorry.

It's micro blogging, information sharing, event sharing, sharing what's on your mind, etc. NOT Instant Messaging.

So my answer to this question would be. NO, there is no way to add task via. IM but you can add them through Twitter. Very different.

:-)
Anders

Didn't mean to cross you Proximo ;)
I do realize that Twitter is no mere IM service. However, many IM applications support Twitter accounts in addition to AIM, Gtalk, etc. My iPhone IM app supports Twitter, as did the desktop app I previously used. My favorite IM service is actually Skype even though it is capable of more than just IM. So you can add tasks using an IM application which brings up the philosophical issue of whether an item is and instant message because it is created as one on an IM app, or is an IM defined by its receiving service. Also, Twitter can serve as an, admittedly rough, IM service by using direct messaging only, which is actually what the Toodledo connection does :)
I suppose the same issue exists for adding tasks to Toodledo by SMS through Twitter. Is it an SMS, or is a Tweet, or is it a task?
:)
Proximo

Posted: Oct 27, 2009
@Anders.

I know bud. Just busting your chops a little.

What I hate the most about people who use Twitter like an IM is when I follow them but they communicate with someone they follow but I don't and use twitter as an IM.

It looks like this on my Twitter account.

"Yea, I know"

"So what did you think"

"I am the same way"

They are communicating with someone they follow but I don't and have an IM conversation on Twitter.

GRRRR.

Makes me want to hack into their system and destroy it.

:-)
jskurnick

Posted: Nov 03, 2009
Whatever you call Twitter, it is true that you can't interact with Toodledo via an IM interface without a Twitter account, correct?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 03, 2009
The only way to interact with Toodledo over IM is via Twitter.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.