ForumsQuestionsNumber of tasks incorrect

Number of tasks incorrect
paul.freeman

Posted: Nov 11, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I've just upgraded to 1.5.5 of the iphone app and have noted that the number of tasks are now incorrect.

I think it is related to the update " The badges that show the number of tasks in a list will now match the behavior on the website."

However, for my context @compwork, I have on the website
"0 To-dos in context '@compwork', sorted by Importance"

but "13 active tasks are hidden due to your filter settings"

but on the contexts page, the number is 13, not 0 like it was previously

If I enter that context, there are no tasks to complete as expected. The button at the bottom says "Filters (13)"
Jake

Toodledo Founder
This is correct. The "0 To-dos in context..." line says that there are no tasks being shown. But below this, you see "13 active tasks hidden..." which means that there are 13 total tasks in this context.

On the iPhone, you see the same thing. The list is empty (0 tasks), but the filter button says (13) which means that 13 are hidden. The website and iPhone match.
paul.freeman

Sorry, I've not explained it properly. On the previous screen called Contexts, it has the list of contexts with a bubble and the number of tasks. Previously this would have been 0 for @compwork, now it says 13

On the home screen, the number of All Tasks now shows every single task whether filtered or not. Previously it only showed the filtered tasks.
paul.freeman

Oh, and to offer my reasoning for seeing it as 0, is that I use the Contexts screen as per GTD. So I scan my Context lists on the iphone to see if I need to do something in that context. e.g. if @Out/Errands is greater than 0, then I need to head to the shops at some point. If it says 5, but I then go into that view and see 0, then that is not right for me. I hope that helps.

I use the filtering quite a lot, for items that will start in the future, or someday maybe, hold or reference items.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The badge next to the context on the iPhone is the same thing as the number on the tab on this website. It is the total number of tasks inside that context/folder/etc, regardless of filters. Prior to the 1.5.5 update, these numbers would not match, and this caused considerable confusion.

Once you go into the context/folder/etc, it may show fewer tasks based on your filters. The number of tasks filtered out will be displayed at the bottom. The number of tasks displayed and the number of tasks filtered out will always add up to the number displayed on the container.
paul.freeman

Posted: Nov 12, 2009
Oh dear, well you've made it 100% more confusing for me. I remember that there was numbers available as an option to put on the tabs but I found them highly confusing because the values in the tabs did not show the correct number of actual visible tasks in that tab.

Now you've migrated that same confusion to the iphone app :(

I think you should take a leaf from the developer of DateBk6 and make the app more configurable - Keep the default option the most obvious - but when requested to change something, make the change a configurable option, not an across the board change that effects everyone.

Is there any way to revert that change or to make it an option?

Is there any way I can revert to the 1.5.4 version of the app, as this change makes it highly confusing to me.

What is the point of the number of tasks in a context NOT showing the correct value of "visible" available tasks in that context?

This seems so wrong.

I bet from now on you will get lots of messages saying that the number in the context does not match the actual tasks visible in that view.
andra.milne

I agree with Paul, I previously used the badge to show the number of starred items. This used to display only visible items; now the application badge shows the count of all starred items. This has ruined my scheme whereby stars were used for just today items (all future items (with a star) being filtered out. Hohum.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We changed it for two reasons.

1) Lots of people were getting confused that the badge on the iPhone didn't match the tab count on the website. People thought that sync wasn't working or that tasks were being deleted off the iPhone. They didn't know to check the filters.

2) The website is responsible for updating the application badge periodically throughout the day. The website does not know what filters you have set on the iPhone, so they website could only set the badge to be the total number of tasks inside whatever category you chose for your application badge. If you had filters set on the iPhone, this badge wouldn't match the number displayed inside the app, and this caused confusion and frustration.

There are obviously people who liked it the old way, even with these issues, so we will try to find some way to support both methods in the next update.
paul.freeman

Thanks very much for replying.

My iphone filters are the same as the website (hide future tasks, hide deferred tasks) but the badge never used to match, but I think it does now - I only have due today and overdue set for my badge so this is not affected by the filters.
michael.read

Posted: Nov 19, 2009
Please restore the ability to display the number of active tasks contained in each folder (on the folders page). I couldn't care less how many items have been filtered *out* of my list; I just want to know how many *remain* after applying my filters.

Is there any way to revert to the older version of the app? This change is extremely annoying.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.