ForumsQuestionsSeriously, How About That Design?

Seriously, How About That Design?
Vin Thomas

Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I am Toodledo's biggest fan, but this UI has got to change. There is no other system than can out-perform in functionality, but EVERY SINGLE ONE has a nicer UI.

I am sure I am not the only one who has considered using another company for this reason alone. Maybe it's just my passion for design that makes this itch so bad...

But I still don't understand why this is not a priority for you.

Should we expect to see a UI refresh any time soon?

Thanks
David

Vin, why is this important? Wouldn't you rather have as a priority some of the updated features that have been requested? Or am I missing the point--is there some improved functionality that an enhanced UI would impart?

For me, "cool looking" would be "cool" but it's not important. Nice to have, but not only can I live without it, I spend no time whatsoever even thinking about it. But then I don't have your passion for design :)
Vin Thomas

David,

It is important because I appreciate beauty. I am in Toodledo ALL DAY LONG. And to be honest, it is not a pretty program.

It is also important because it keeps people from using Toodledo. This has been consistently brought up in the forums by users, and it hasn't really been given a good answer.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2355/-11942/new-design.html

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3250/-17418/is-there-a-new-ui-on-the-way.html

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2615/-13628/redesign-of-toodledo.html

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/6/1520/-10061/design.html

Again, it's probably my creative spirit that makes this such a big deal to me. For a more technically minded person, the current layout might work just fine.

It looks like a programmer designed this. And that's probably what happened. A great web app isn't great just because it is functional. It is a combination between functionality and design. And to be honest, the poor design hinders the functionality in ways as well.

This might not be a priority to Toodledo, and that's fine if it's not. But I would just like an official response on their take on this whole thing.
David

Okay, I can see how good design can improve functionality and save time. For example, in one of the posts, Proximo said, "My biggest complaint on the GUI for Toodledo is how everything is laid out like a spreadsheet, rather than an application. Add any function to Toodledo and it get's a new column." This makes sense. I've been frustrated with this "feature" as well.

I can also see how improving the look and feel of the UI would attract more users. Proximo's idea of templates makes sense from both a usability and a "sales" standpoint.

For me, function is far more important than appearance; given my understanding of the developer's limited resources, I'm willing to wait for the latter to catch up with the former. On the other hand, I've only been using TD for a few months. Check back with me next year.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2009.
PeterW 

I'd also appreciate a new gui. I find myself decreasing the browser font size in order to create a bit more space and make it easier to read.
Alan

Score: 1 Reference
I have to agree with Vin et al.

A good design contributes to less clutter and less stressful organization. I also believe that Toodledo's design is the ONE missing piece of the puzzle which will bring Toodledo over the top.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 2 Reference
We do plan to improve the design. We don't have the skill in-house, so we need to outsource or hire someone. Both are $$$, which is why it hasn't happened yet, but it is a priority for us in 2010.
Vin Thomas

Thanks for the feedback. It is nice to know this is at least a real concern for Toodledo. I would love to see a new design rocket Toodledo into the web's leading task management tool in 2010.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
Posted by Vin Thomas:
Thanks for the feedback. It is nice to know this is at least a real concern for Toodledo. I would love to see a new design rocket Toodledo into the web's leading task management tool in 2010.

Amen to that.

If I am going to use something all day long, I would love for it to look great and flow great. The GUI and Design of Toodledo needs an Overhaul. (I wonder if Chip Foose does software)

When you look for software solutions, the GUI is what catches your eye. Does it look nice. The perception here is that if the software looks nice, then it's probably professional and well designed all around. This is obviously not always the case, but it's how most people would think when looking at something for the first time.

OSX and W7 are selling the potential users on many things but two take center stage. Usability and Looks.

If something has a lot of functionality but looks terrible and it's not well designed. It's not going to appeal to the masses. Not everyone has the patience to dig deep into something and learn to hack it to death and make it work for them.

I feel that just about everything I do with Toodledo is a hack due to a lot of functionality but a poor GUI and Design.

I would love to be part of a GUI/Design Beta Team in 2010.
Franck Martin

+1 !!!!!!

The biggest usability flaw with the current design is projects/contexts being in horizontal tabs. This is a real problem when you have more than 10 projects, because you can't see them all together. Why don't you put projects vertically on the left column and tools in tabs (like Nozbe)? It would be much more rational...

So to respond to David : Yes, design IS IMPORTANT because it can improve the usability of the software. It's not just about "looking cool", it's about the daily experience we have with your software, so it's equally important as "cool features"... You should hire Mark Boulton (http://www.markboultondesign.com/), his designs would fit perfectly with your app and you'll get a lot more clients with a beautiful UI...
David

I get the part about functionality, Franck, as a component of design, and I'm all for it. Your idea for putting folders vertically is a great example (and a great idea). Being able to use colors for different contexts is another example of adding not ONLY visual interest but usability.

I'm on board.
sunni.freyer

Posted: Mar 29, 2010
If money is an issue, then the first thing I would do is change the name so that individuals like myself are more comfortable marketing the site to other mature colleagues. I am a PR/Marcom professional and business consultant. I cannot imagine pitching "toodle-do" to colleagues; in fact, the name kept me from exploring it for more than a year. Names brand. They create perceptions. And while difficult to change, it's much easier to do so before being established for decades. Given the number of users, create a naming contest. The winner gets a free subscription for one year, perhaps. Then publicize the change. With the publicity will hopefully come new users. New users equal more dollars. Put those dollars first into a contract with a designer who will create a Photoshop rendition of a new site layout/look. Then, break the big job into small contracts to begin the site re-design. I agree with those who have posted prior to me. The features offered are great, although it has taken me some time to get accustomed to, after transitioning from RTM. Site design is not simply to make it "pretty." An attractive layout is critical to helping users navigate, feel comfortable, find features and to extending their stay. RTM has accomplished that, I am sure most will agree. As a new user, I found myself struggling, initially, to simply find the "help" link. My mind expected to find help in the upper right hand corner or thereabouts. Now that I know where it is, yes, it's easy to find. But the true test is of those who are new. I am still not entirely comfortable. BTW -- I agree wholeheartedly with Frank Martin's suggestion: put projects on the left, vertically, and place tools across the top. Makes much better sense.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 30, 2010
Funny... I had more of a problem with the name "Remember the Milk". RTM sounds like a shopping list solution rather than something one would use for professional task management.

I don't like the sound of Nozbe (no clue why but I just don't like the sound of it) and as far as I am concerned, Nirvana is a band.

Toodledo has the best name of those three although I agree that it sounds a bit too cute compared with OmniFocus or just plain Todo (by Appigo).
Alan

Posted by David:
Vin, why is this important? Wouldn't you rather have as a priority some of the updated features that have been requested? Or am I missing the point--is there some improved functionality that an enhanced UI would impart?

I see it more as a marketing tool. Many potential users could be turned-off by relating the level of functionality to the basic design of the site. Many other competitors have less functional web apps but they are pretty, and could attract customers. It's in our interests to increase the customer base. More customers = more revenue = great probability that even more enhancements can be added.
jwgordon

well....to add my $0.02, I like the UI as it is. Fast, lightweight and simple. I would be concerned about making it pretty for the sake of prettiness. The risk is degrading the simplicity of use for the sake of design.

I like Toodledo b/c I can enter stuff quickly. Using the N key for a new task is very useful. Tab key to do the rest. No mouse needed.

But that's for me...and the way I use Toodledo (which I love and recommend to folks).
Claudio

Posted: Mar 31, 2010
I think that the overall look is not bad but there are a few major design issues that affect basic functionality:

1. Most of the menu items across the top should be on the left.
2. There are too many hidden commands: Permament Link, Email, Clone, Add subtask.
3. There should be a way of adding a new Folder or Context from within a task.
4. There are many issues with the way that subtasks are handled.

I'm sure that Jake is working on all of the above, and more ...
Transisto

Posted: Apr 01, 2010
I agree with everything said, I'm on the verve of insanity with this STALL, Even after 5 month of using Tood... I still don't grasp ~30% of it and can't find a way to use it seamlessly.

The UI usability/intuitiveness give the same impression as going to a Reputed brand website and seeing a Mammoth sized TYPO in their Logo.

There is no way I can believe the average Joe customer is going to learn to use that ! and,,, be happy long enough with it to pay 15$.

Also the product having functionality being somewhat more attractive to professional, that definitely would pay more than ~1$/ month for CORE management system.

This message was edited Apr 01, 2010.
gpzbc

Posted: Apr 07, 2010
I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but the design of Toodledo has kept me from committing to Toodledo 100%.

The design of a site is not of the utmost importance. Design is useless without a robust feature set, and conversely, a robust feature set is not going to sell without good design. So I don't think you can argue that you need one over the other. They have to both be present to make a product marketable.

Some may disagree with me by saying it shouldn't be that way. But that's just the way it is.

I'm looking forward to a design overhaul in 2010.
pankaj013

Posted: Apr 07, 2010
I dont think the need is to have a pretty UI. The need is always to have a better workflow supporting UI. Nozbe's new web interface is prettier but slower. Getitdoneapp is the prettiest but also the slowest. For task management I am any day willing to sacrifice pretty for faster. I just dumped the two mentioned for that only. But yes even in terms of workflow supportive interface toodledo needs to cover a lot of ground.

Best of luck!
gpzbc

Posted: Apr 08, 2010
But you fail to realize that pretty and fast are not exclusive of each other.

Despite all of its shortcomings and lack of development, Todoist has a beautiful interface and is fast.

The ideal solution would be pretty, fast, and functional.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.