ForumsQuestionsImport data from Thinking Rock

Import data from Thinking Rock
yanesh.tyagi

Posted: Nov 30, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I am using Thinking Rock and now switched to Toodledo beacuse of online facility. But I am not sure how can I import my projects, actions and someday/maybe tasks from TR to Toodledo. Can somebody suggest a way to do so?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 30, 2009
If Thinking Rock has a CSV export option, this will be the simplest way. If they have some other sort of export option, you may be able to use some other software to convert it into the CSV format that Toodledo can import. I am not familiar with Thinking Rock, so I don't know what their export options are (if any). Maybe someone else here has more experience than I do.
yanesh.tyagi

Posted: Dec 01, 2009
TR Exports data in XML file in the following format:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<actions>
<action>
<desc>Write a blog post about toodledo</desc>
<notes />
<created>20091201073942</created>
<done>false</done>
<done-date />
<thought-key>T1</thought-key>
<thought-desc>Describe how I am using it.</thought-desc>
<project-key>P221</project-key>
<project-desc>My Blog</project-desc>
<topic-key>TPC0</topic-key>
<topic-desc>None</topic-desc>
<context-key>CTX1</context-key>
<context-desc>Laptop</context-desc>
<state>INACTIVE</state>
<action-date />
<scheduled-date />
<scheduled-duration />
<due-date />
<time />
<priority />

Field Description:
All fields are self explanatory. The format for <created> field is - YYYYMMDDhhmmss (date and time of creation of task).

This is the one action. I hope this describes the structure of the XML. If you need I can send entire XML file offline. (Cannot post it into a public forum for obvious reason)
jskurnick

Posted: Dec 02, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Have you tried importing the XML into Excel, then exporting a CSV?
yanesh.tyagi

Posted: Dec 02, 2009
@jskurnick
Wow! It worked. Thanks jskurnick.

I just try a test and it worked. So, I can do this in the following manner (writing for the benefit of other users)

TR Allows me to export data to either Text (which I think is CSV) or XML format. It also provides interface to structure your XML, choose columns, much like Toodledo. So I can configure my XML as per Toodledo requirements. Now I can import this XML in toodledo.

But there some issues -

1. Thinking Rock provides me many text fields like thought, vision and brainstorming apart from notes field. Out of these, I use thought and vision fields heavily and these are very useful too. Hoe can I import these fields in toodledo? toodledo provides only one text field - note.

2. TR priorities are in text format such as Must, Should, Could etc. While Toodledo priorities are in low, med and high. How can I map this data?

Yanesh Tyagi
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 03, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
You'll have to map these differences before importing into Toodledo. You should be able to do this by opening the file in a text editor and using the "find and replace" tool to make the changes.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.