ForumsQuestionsParent / Subtask Dating

Parent / Subtask Dating
j2020

Posted: Jan 13, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
When I have a project to do I set it up as a parent task, and then enter all of its components as subtasks. My issue is with the due dates. Each of the individual subtasks are due before the final project deadline. But when I view my To Do list in "hidden" mode to reduce clutter (which is the whole purpose of having subtasks), the due date for the next subtask disappears. I use a product called ToDo on my iTouch that solves this problem by automatically having the due date of the parent task be whatever the next due date is in the subtask list. That way my overall To Do list isn't cluttered with dozens of subtasks, but I can still easily see when the next action is due. It would be great if a similar option were available in Toodledo.

It would also mean that the warning in the Toodledo Help area that reads "Keep in mind that if you select the nesting behavior, it may be possible to forget about a subtask that has a higher priority or due-date than the parent task, because it will be hidden inside. Please be careful about this." Seems to me that anytime you need a warning that you may "forget" an item on your To Do list, the system could use some revision.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion.
j2020

Posted: Jan 15, 2010
It would be great if "Length" of a parent task was also a running total of its subtasks.

Similarly, when the view is Indented, the subtask lengths are currently not included in the "Total Estimated Lengths". It can't be corrected by manually adding them up and entering them as the total for the parent task, because then if you flatten the view the time is doubled because the parent task and subtasks are added together.

I guess what I'm asking for overall is that subtasks really be treated as SUBtasks of a parent task, not just as regular tasks that can be hidden some of the time.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion.
dawgsmith

Posted: Apr 08, 2010
I am trying out the Pro account right now for one thing, and one thing only: to declutter my tasks by using subtasks.

But if I may "forget" about a subtask because it is hidden and the only way to see when it is due is by looking at the flat view, then there's really no reason for me to use subtasks (or sign up for the pro account).

I would like to second the comment about having the parent task due date take on the next due date for it's subtasks (or make it an option).

Thanks.
Andrew A

Posted: Apr 08, 2010
As an option perhaps, I would argue against that as a default behavior. I use both parent tasks and folders for projects, and I think in that case, the parent task's due date is the final one, not the next one.

That said, I have no issues losing tasks. I collapse the details and show indented tasks. So for me, not an issue (though everyone uses the product differently, that much is for sure).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.