02 Bar

What gives?

Tks!

Scott
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 15, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I just tested this, and when sorting alphabetically, it was 1,2,3,4 like it should be. Can you please take a screenshot of your list that shows how it is sorted as well as the mis-sorted list. You can attach it to a support ticket if you don't want everyone to see your list.
scott

Posted: Jan 16, 2010
No problem - the URL is http://ftp.granneman.com/toodledo_sorting.gif. I added another group, & it has the same problem. Very weird.

And thank you so much for your help!

Scott
Linden

Posted: Jan 16, 2010
I see what's happening here. Currently, you've got the sort order set to:
Tag -> Task/Subtask -> Auto

"Task/Subtask" identifies whether the task is a parent or subtask. It actually doesn't sort by the title at all.
I'm not sure exactly how "Auto" sorts but it can appear somewhat random.

If you want the parents at the top (which is what Task/Subtask is achievign), but also want them organized alphabetically, set the sort order to:
Tag -> Task/Subtask -> Alphabetical

Cheers!

[Edited for clarity.]

This message was edited Jan 16, 2010.
scott

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Hmmmm ... well, I tried your suggestion, & it's EXACTLY the same.

Any other ideas?

(Pause while I try something)

OK, I got it - I sorted this way:

Tag > Alphabetical > Task/Subtask

For some reason, that works, but Tag > Task/Subtask > Alphabetical does not.

Why is that, Toodledo?

Tks!

This message was edited Jan 17, 2010.
Linden

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Hmm. I never thought to test first -- I get the same behaviour.

If I try:
Tag -> Task/Subtask -> Alphabetical
The dividers mark the tag breakdown (as expected), the parent tasks top each list (as expected), but then only the subtasks are sorted alphabetically. The parent tasks are left in what appears to be random order.

If I use this instead:
Tag > Alphabetical > Task/Subtask
Everything works pretty much as you might expect, but renders the Task/Subtask sort useless. Everything is sorted alphabetically and Task/Subtask is used as a tie-breaker if two items happen to have the same name.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 18, 2010
When you sort by "Task/Subtask" it sorts the Parent tasks first, ordered by the number of subtasks contained in each one (biggest parents at the top, smallest at the bottom), followed by all the subtasks. This is why the "Alphabetically" tertiary sort isn't affecting the parent tasks at the top, but is affecting the subtasks.
Linden

Hmm. That seems like an odd assumption for parent task sort order.

I don't usually care about how many steps are remaining in my project. The only project actions I'm concerned about are the ones that are currently actionable.

Now, I don't personally use the Task/Subtask sort, so you don't need to take my perspective to heart too much. But I would think it's reasonable to apply any following criteria to the parent section as well as the subtasks. If someone were sorting by due date, for example, I think it would be important to have the projects due soon appearing at the top, rather than have the 20-step project due 6 months from now sitting there.

Just an idea. :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
scott

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
I have to agree with Linden - that's a really odd assumption for sorting! When I chose Task/Subtask, I certainly assumed that it would be alphabetical by Task & then manually by Subtask, since I manually sorted my Subtasks. Perhaps a new sort type is called for: Task (alphabetical). & perhaps Task/Subtask should be renamed Task (# of Subtasks) instead to make it clearer.

Or something like that. The important thing is, remove the ambiguity & confusion. I certainly don't recall seeing in your docs that Task/Subtask sorts by the # of subtasks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 20, 2010
Yes, this is confusing. I agree. We'll try to clear it up.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.