ForumsQuestionsWOW your losing ALOT of customers (fix the user interface)

WOW your losing ALOT of customers (fix the user interface)
mattxphone

Posted: Jan 18, 2010
Score: -3 Reference
You guys need to fix your start up user experience cause your losing a large percentage of customers who signup and never use your service cause they can't work out how to add one single task to the todo list.

I own & run a 15 man IT company and I specialize in user website design and I just signed up for an account and can't for the life of me find the button that lets me create a todo list. I clicked "todo list" and it just says "did you know your can change some stuff in your settings" woohoo, it also says "you've done everything under this tab" and it has no "add task to your todo list" button anywhere I can find.

I mean come on guys your very lucky to have succeeded with this site with such bad user interface design. It has nowhere jumping out at me saying "Start your list now" or "create todo list." I created folders but can't find the hidden tiny button your programmers hid god knows where that lets me start creating a todo list. Or is there something special in settings i'm meant to do before I can start creating a list?

I design high traffic websites for a living, you always have to design for the average surfer and most average surfers are gonna have a problem finding out how to create a todo list when a highly experienced IT company owner can't after spending 10 minutes trying. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.

Flame all you want, I'm sure I missed something small but thats not my fault its the website designer who failed me and trust me they failed 1000's already who just gave up after getting frustrated.

Now I know one thing, your programmer designed almost all of this website and you don't really have a website designer, because my programmers create sites with these terrible user interfaces only they understand and I have to come in and tell them how to make them usable to the average surfer. Its not a bad think programmers think differently, but you gotta fix this its really slowing your growth.

Tip : add some big button somewhere near the top side bar and also on the main page that says
"BEGIN ADDING TASK'S NOW" and point it to a page that lets people click a button and start adding task's right there and then and throwing them into a folder they choose.

Add a few other small user tweaks and your conversion ratio from signup to proper user will go way up.

Cheers

Matt
mattxphone

Score: 0 Reference
Btw, most new users will go and click directly on the
"To-Do list" in the top left side bar, and expect a input line where they can start added their task's. You gotta have this working on the todo list page. Right now the todo list page just says : "0 To-dos sorted by Alphabetical" & "You've done everything in this tab!".

Best of luck with the site, looks like it has alot of potential. Small user design stuff is easy to fix just go through your user signup experience thinking as a average surfer and see what you click on first and what grabs your attention. See the area's that need fixing and making clearer to the surfer and add them. Basic stuff but makes the world of difference.
TheGriff_2

Score: 1 Reference
Just curious...how exactly is it you have managed to run an IT shop and not think to click 'Help' in the side bar? Obviously you completely missed 'Add Task' in the upper right of the screen and you of course didn't bother to read about what keyboard shortcuts are available.

Sure, the UI can use some work but how about you back off the sarcasm and be a bit more positive in your critique. I might also suggest that if your not smart enough to determine how something works you RTFM.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010.
dan55

:D

i figured out how to add a new task ok - could really do with some more colour imo though

AND - not having to pay $24 or similar just to get a decent selection of reminder times!! :(

cheers
dan
k.shepherd

I'd say this site is the best of the bunch so far as I have tried an tested a few GTD app sites in the past 2 years... some not even providing subtasks (*cough cough we know who u are)

I agree the add task link could be more prominent and the interface a little less cluttered on the start up page- maybe a start up page customisation option could be introduced. There are a lot of features on the main page that I'm just not going to use often but maybe just once in a blue moon. For instance did I complete that task or jsut not add it in the first place? ;p

IMHO the folder page with a hotlist tab would be perfect for me.

Overall though, well done so far guys x

- Kim
neildriscoll83

Just add my 2 pence worth.

I reckon this site sells on functionality which is top notch and its ability sync with loads of different third party apps.

However the UI does _need_ an overhaul. RTM is so much nicer to look at even though it features are inferior, can't you guys improve it the same?

Surely it would increase your user base and give a better return on your investment.
Transisto

Score: 1 Reference
I am not going to analyze anymore on what could be better than now, it's like starting from zero.

I already did my part on this two page long post http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/4321/0/web-interface-big-improvements-to-be-made.html

As to for the Add task button ! yes, I can't see how this button could be less obvious to find... I have 2048x1152 monitor, and it is way...off my view and small.
Vin Thomas

If it's any help, you can try my userscript which makes the "Add Task" button much more prominent. But yes, the site needs a UI redesign.

http://bit.ly/toodledoish
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are well aware that people don't like the way our site looks, and this is something that we plan to correct.
Transisto

Thank you Vin , it is better your way, didn't knew about ctrl-T neither ;)
timcalhoon

After reading TheGriff's reply I decided to play new "short attention span" user.

Choosing help and then searching for "add a task" or "new task" or "create task" did not produce an article that addresses the concern or points out the button on the UI.

A simple quick fix may be to add an article to help.

Continued thanks for a great product. :)
TheGriff_2

Wow...I stand corrected...I can't believe there's not a help article about how to add tasks. That said, I'm still annoyed with the attitude of the original poster...just no need for that sort of sarcasm when complaining about a FREE service.
timcalhoon

The original post annoyed me too because I know how good this system is.

TheGriff, thanks for your post, it prompted me to try some testing and maybe Toodledo gets a bit better.
Vin Thomas

I think even better than an intro article would be an intro screencast.

- Vin
PeterW 

While I agree that Toodledo could do with some general improvement in appearance, it's really not that bad. I didn't have any trouble at all seeing the add-a-task button/link when I first started using Toodledo.

I'm happy that the developer is favouring function over form.
lite1

mattxphone You have gotten a lot of advice - some of it impatient. TD is an excellent program that is evolving and has some UI problems or areas that can be improved.

I expect that if you try it you will love its functionality. The forum is usually very responsive, and typically friendly, especially if an OP has made some efforts to figure things out on their own. Sorry you had so much difficulty.

I know that sometimes I can not see the nose on my face. Happens to us all.

With your background I expect that once you actually gain exp. with things that you might have some valid suggestions, yet I expect that you will need to do some to restore your credibility.

Enjoy ... Edward
P.S. I gave your post a thumbs up; hopefully so you feel more welcome. Generally, even annoyingly simple and obvious questions are well tolerated here.
Scott

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
I love posts like this.

All that is missing is the sentence where you tell them that it wouldn't be that hard to fix something so why don't they just do it.
Vin Thomas

I don't think mattxphone's point is completely invalid. Sure, it's not THAT difficult to figure out how to use Toodledo -- but it could be easier.

Not to bring up the competition or anything, but check out how nice of a job TeuxDeux did on their screencast. This is a feature on their home page and makes it easy for users to understand the app from the get go. Granted, it is a much simpler (and more limited) app than Toodledo, but you get the gist. http://teuxdeux.com (click the "Video" button)

If I had a spare hour, I would put it together myself. But unless Toodledo is ready to feature the video on the site it probably wouldn't make tons of a difference. I don't see tons of people searching the forums to find a screencast. They'd expect it in the help pages or on the main page of toodledo.com.
j2020

The first time I tried to use Toodledo I got overwhelmed and left. I used RTM for over a year before I came back and gave Toodledo another chance. Now that I've learned to use it I love the Toodledo features enought that I bought a Pro account. Like the original poster, I think it's probably true that a substantial number of potential customers are lost in the first few minutes.

Even if the overall UI doesn't change, some sort of intro or primer to guide new users would be really beneficial. Or maybe the "default" or "new user" view could be simplified a little. I know when I first started all I wanted to do was make a small list or two but I was barraged by folders, dividers, contexts, etc. Simply hiding the dividers in the default view would probably help. People who want advanced features will poke around and find them later.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010.
Scott

oh wait, that wasn't missing. You hit all the major points on my standard "expert" forum post checklist.

Congratulations!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.