ForumsQuestionsTo show or not to show

To show or not to show
Proximo

Posted: Feb 10, 2010
Score: 3 Reference
I just realized something about Toodledo. I don't know if it' a bug or intentional but I know it's working.

I started using Toodledo in Grid view and enjoyed seeing all my information front and center. After using Toodledo more and adding more columns of information, I realized quickly that it was taking up too much of my screen. I would need an extra wide monitor to fit it all but then the rest of my websites would look weird if my browser was configured to fit Toodledo.

So I switched to Multi-line format to fix this issue. In this view I have all the options I care to use, but they are hidden inside the task.

Here is where dilemma comes in. I don't like the Grid view because it shows too much information but I don't like the Multi-line view because it shows hardly anything.

So I decided to try an experiment. I have several task that repeat on a daily or weekly basis. I switched back to Grid mode and turned off the Repeat column. All my task still work as they should. Although I don't have the repeat field showing, the repeat setting stays active with my task. I found this interesting and started to really think this through.

What I really want is access to all the task settings possible with Toodledo, but only show the information I choose on my columns. This can't be done unless there was a COMBO view.

In Combo view, I can have all the Toodledo functions accessible inside my task like in Multi-Line view but only show the columns I need like in Grid view.

So each task will have the little arrow that you can open to get access to all the task settings possible, but it would be hidden until I choose to open it. At the same time, each task will have only the columns I need showing.

Example:

If I wanted to show the Context, Tag and Due Date column only. I will choose these columns to show but still have all the settings hidden inside the task like in Multi-Line view.

That would make for a clean interface while at the same time allowing for all the possible Toodledo functions to stay active in case I need them.

The way it is today, you much choose what functions you want on as the screen size dictates in Grid View, or you can turn all the function on but use Toodledo in Multi-Line mode.

I want both.

Who is with me on this?
roddyt

Score: 0 Reference
I like it.

I devised a similar trick to get around having to display an extra column. I don't use the due date, as I enter those types of things in my calendar.

I did have a need for setting a notification on a task though. I didn't want to activate the due date field just for this one task. Instead, I activated it on my iPhone, where the extra fields aren't so obvious, and set it there.

It worked. And now that you've got me thinking about it, maybe I can work this scheme with other fields. I'll have to look it over.

Your suggestion, of course, would be even better. But until then...
PeterW 

Yes, I like this idea. I prefer grid view but don't want to see every field. I tend to use the zoom feature in FF to avoid having to resize my browser window.
Proximo

Glad to hear others like the idea. When you think about what makes Toodledo the best of any other service, it's about the features and options.

This would allow for all the power of Toodledo to be available in your task details but show a cleaner Grid as dictated by the user.
Linden

Posted: Feb 11, 2010
Proximo, this is even better than a suggestion I made a while back.

I was looking for a way to be able to hide columns for viewing task while still allowing them to be used when creating a task or sorting data.

Your suggestion provides all of that functionality, with a tidier interface!
Gummi

Posted: Feb 11, 2010
Brilliant. I would love it.

I've been having the exact same dilemma. I tried multi-line view but it showed too little. I also found out that I only use "Start Date", "Due Date", "Repeat" and "Tags" once in a while, but often enough that it's a pain to have to enable them every time.

I solved it for the time being by moving all seldom used columns to the right. This, however, is not a perfect solution because I still have the note and file buttons on the far right. Is there any way to move them to the left?
Proximo

Posted: Feb 12, 2010
I think a Combo view will benefit everyone. This gives the users 3 choices.

Not sure how complicated this would be for Jake. :-(
Proximo

Posted: Feb 15, 2010
No reply from Jake, so it may not be something easy to implement.

:-(
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 17, 2010
This isn't an easy thing to implement, but I'll put it on the to-do list.
lite1

Posted: Feb 17, 2010
Posted by gjk:

This, however, is not a perfect solution because I still have the note and file buttons on the far right. Is there any way to move them to the left?

It was recently asked that Note and File buttons be moved, Jake has noted it but no promises. I also asked for a keyboard shortcut to open the Note of the task/subtask you are on. Personally I use Note a lot and having to scroll and then click is inefficient way to access Note.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 18, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
This isn't an easy thing to implement, but I'll put it on the to-do list.

Thanks Jake. I know your plate is very full and this is not one of your top priorities, but just a suggestion for the future.

Thanks.
imonsei

Posted: Feb 19, 2010
Ooh. this also gets my vote.
I was looking to describe the exact same thing. (well my idea wasn't so well thought out)

PS.
Yes Jake, we do love you, so please do it in your own time.
We don't like our overlord being stressed so he codes bad or misses opportunities he could have had if he had been calm and relaxed :>
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.