ForumsQuestionsParent Tasks in Search Views

Parent Tasks in Search Views
Rob G

Posted: Feb 24, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I have a request that when in the search views that Parent Tasks behave as follows:

Flattened: only parent tasks that meet the search criteria - the same as now.

Hidden: Hide the sub-tasks as now, but show the Parent Tasks.

Indented: Show the Parent Tasks for all the sub-tasks.

The basic idea is that I'm not trying to eliminate a sub-task completely when I use Hidden. I just want to summarise it. Its up to the search to eliminate a subtask, or not. So if the search does not already show the Parent, it needs to show it. I don't want to think I have nothing in the search, cos it actually has projects that meet the criteria (parent tasks via sub-task matching)

Similarly with Indented. This view means I want to see the sub-tasks indented by Parent Task, so if the Parent Task is not in the results, add it in.

This is really crutial for me to get an almost perfect Project implementation as per GTD. If you do not see this as important, lets discuss it further.

Or maybe you could augment search so that you could request that parent tasks are included for all sub-tasks that match the search. Its not the best solution because the Flattened view will be polluted with extraneous Parent Tasks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 25, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
magictorch

Posted: Mar 19, 2010
I appreciate this is on the to-do list (do you use Toodledo for your to-do list?), just posting to show my support for this change too.
Brad

Posted: Jun 17, 2010
you can just star the parent and it will show up, no?
Daan Josephus Jitta

Posted: Aug 19, 2010
I really like to have this too!!!

I want to use Parent tasks to structure a long list of tasks, to prevent them from being sorted on due date only. The parents help me to keep related items together with an appropriate heading (that might be more visible on screen and in print, by the way).

But the parent tasks only show up when they are matched by the search criteria. In Indented mode, I think this is wrong. For any matched subtask, the parent task should be shown as well.

I do not see an easy work-around here. If I want to ensure the parents are matched as well (e.g. by adding a dedicated tag), the parents will also show up when there are no subtasks matching, causing my output to show empty sections.

With respect to implementation. This might become an option, either in Account Settings or as an additional Search Phrase one can add when creating a (Saved) Search.

I'll also create a Support Request covering this.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.