ForumsQuestionsHow to create more structured to do list using goals, etc.

How to create more structured to do list using goals, etc.
jkk251

Posted: Feb 27, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hello, I've been using Toodledo for a year or more. Great program, thank you. Today I upgraded, hoping to be able to use some of the pro features to better structure my to do lists so I have to spend less time looking at every item and deciding what to do next, but I'm not having a lot of luck seeing how to do that. What I would really like (need), is to structure every to do item hierarcichally by goals, their sub goals, and their subgoals, and so on, while attaching deadlines to each level of the heierarchy. To see the structure, it would be good to see the hierarchy structure, like an indented outline, for any goal or subgoal you click on, and then be able to switch it to a timeline view, kind of like a gant chart (think that's the word).

So far, I see how to attach a to do to a goal, and how to say one goal is a submember of another one, but do not see any way to make this do anything along the lines of structured execution of tasks by goal, and I don't think there is any time line feature.

Any way I can click on one of my goals, like get rental ready to rent, and see the subgoals (paint, install dishwasher, replace sink, ..., ..., ...)? Is there any way to attach timelines and/or deadlines to this?

EDIT: Just a further comment. I went back and looked some more and did more thinking. You essentially can create lists of to do tasks by several criteria or attributes, like due date, priority, folder, etc. But I think what I'm looking for is the ability to 1) look at tasks ordered by more than one attribute--and any attributes you want in any order--simultaneously, as you can have Excel sort 10 columns according to columns you select. For example, you can tell Excel to sort columns 1 - 10 according first to values in column 3, then column 9, then column 1, etc. If one thinks of goal hierarchy as an attribute, and due date as another attribute, one can imagine getting a list of to dos ordered by goal hierarchy, and within that, due date, and perhaps within that, something else like context, then priority, and so on. 2) The second thing is, once this flexible organization is possible, to make it visually accessible using indentation for structural hierarchy, and perhaps colors, fonts, ? for various categories; then the ability to switch this outline hierarchy view to a timeline view with one or more top-level goals at the left, and their subgoal trees flowing to the right in time. It would be great to combine the hierarchy and timeline views but everything I think of is not great. To be most useful, this structure needs to exist everywhere, in all lists, and all drop down menus, etc.

Thanks! Again, thanks for the great program.

Jim Kroger

This message was edited Feb 27, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions. You can't currently do what you are suggesting, but you may be able to simulate some of it using the 3 level sorting that you can access in the toolbar, and by using our advanced search page.

PeterW 

And try using Tags -- you can set multiple tags and thereby achieve a fairly deep level of filtering.

You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.