ForumsQuestionsBasic Calendar in ToodleDo for iPhone/iPod Touch?

Basic Calendar in ToodleDo for iPhone/iPod Touch?
mlb32704

Posted: Mar 04, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I purchased an iPod Touch to finally move off of Palm. Without ToodleDo, I could not have done it. The migration of data from Palm's To Do List to ToodleDo was a little bit too easy. The replacement of the Palm Desktop with the ToodleDo Web interface makes me wonder why I waited so long. I use Outlook and iTunes to get Contacts and Notes synched up, they don't work nearly as well as ToodleDo, but they get the job done.

My one issue is Calendar. I've tried a number of iPhone applications, as well as Google Calendar, nothing really works well. Currently I'm using Outlook and iTunes to sync up to the iPod's Calendar app. Outlook is fine on the desktop end, I'm so used to it from work that it's a breeze. The problem is on the iPod end, the Calendar app on the iPod just STINKS. Specifically, the Ipod Calendar app offers you three views (List, Day, Month), and none of them really provide the same level of detail in one view that the daily view on my Palm device did. While the iPod interface and scrolling features are great for everything else, the Calendar app suffers in this respect. The iPod forums are littered with complaints about this, a lot of them coming from Palm users such as myself.

I have a number of posts all over the place, and then I started thinking about ToodleDo. There seems to already be a lot of calendar-like functionality built into ToodleDo, albeit there's no true Calendar function. What would it take to develop a true Calendar function for ToodleDo that synched with Outlook and iPhone/iPod, and presented a really basic, Palm-like shot of the day, week and month on the device?

I'm not a Pro user (yet) but I would GLADLY pay for THAT!

This message was edited Mar 04, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
PeterW 

You might want to look at Pocket Informant. It has a much more comprehensive calendar, and it does task management too which I understand can be synced with Toodledo - although I haven't tried it so don't know for sure.

I used PI on Windows Mobile devices in the past and can vouch that the calendar views are pretty good - more of what you would be used to on your Palm device.

Unfortunately Apple is a bit behind in this and at present won't allow third party apps to access their calendar database, so I can't even use PI as it won't work with Exchange calendars.

But it might suit you.
cjuzda

Pocket informant is good. If you don't necessarily want to combine tasks and calendar items (and I don't) - I like Calengoo, which syncs beautifully with Google calendar - if you do want the combined approach (and I don't):), Pocket informant is by far your best bet, nothing else comes close (and it does sync with Toodledo)
mlb32704

Posted: Mar 05, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Again, I'm primarily looking to sync my Outlook Calendar data with my iPod Touch. I know that I can get that Outlook Data up to Google Calendar, had a couple of snafus with data not appearing but for the most part I got it. I tried a couple of calendar apps for the iPod Touch that sync up with Google Calendar, none of which I liked, but they were not Pocket Informant or Calengoo, I can check both of those out. I'm ultimately interested in ToodleDo providing that synchronization between Outlook Calendar and iPod Touch, would make things a lot easier and minimize the number of applications that I've got working with one another. Thanks for the tip.
mlb32704

Posted: Mar 05, 2010
Just reviewed those options again, I did install then deinstall Pocket Informant, daily view was the same or worse than the standard iPod app. Calengoo looked good, the daily view is definitely better than the iPod app but I would have to set up everything with Google Caldendar and GoogleSync again in order to make it work with Outlook. Definitely food for thought, thanks for the tip. Of course, ToodleDo Calendar would make this all a lot easier :)
Andrew A

Posted: Mar 06, 2010
I found the same shortcoming with all the task/calendar apps. Quickly falling in love with TD (hey, but the web UI... ouch. Proof that functionality can still win over looks with people who care), but the iPhone Cal app is pitiful. Yeah, if something could sync with it, gets picked up by iTunes and then by extension gets synched with Outlook, that would be brilliant.
thomas.kinzer

Posted: Mar 07, 2010
Hi -

I currently use:

Google Calendar (as my everyday main calendar)
Toodledo for tasks.
iPhone ToDo app to synch with Toodledo
and iCal synch between Toodledo and Google Calendar

and so for iPhone/iPad, i chucked the Apple calendar and use "CalenGoo" to synch Google Calendar and iPhone, it works great for me and I highly recommend it.

So basically everything is in perfect synch between web and mobile and since it's all in the cloud, it doesn't matter what machine I'm working from.

Toodledo <-iCal-> Google Calendar
Toodledo <-> ToDo (iPhone)
Google Calendar <-> CalenGoo (iPhone)
Homesick

Posted: Mar 08, 2010
Thank you Thomas for the info on CalenGoo (I would have prefered the name "GooCal" myself :-) )

I have some 8 Google Calendars and this works really fine. ALl colors match, the Sync went fast and I'm finaly satisfied, been looking for quite a while...
Best
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.