ForumsQuestionsLinks in Emails not working

Links in Emails not working
wolfgang

Posted: Mar 14, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hello there. I enjoy working with Toddledo. It's a really great tool. One thing would even improve the usability: If I do send a website link as a new task to my toodledo account, the link does not work as such, it's just plain text...

Is there anything I can do about this?
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 14, 2010
Posted by wolfgang:
Hello there. I enjoy working with Toddledo. It's a really great tool. One thing would even improve the usability: If I do send a website link as a new task to my toodledo account, the link does not work as such, it's just plain text...

Is there anything I can do about this?

If the link is in the notes field, Toodledo does display it as a hyperlink. Don't think it works in the description field.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 15, 2010
Links have to be inside the notes for them to be clickable.
wolfgang

thanks for the answers. Problem is that using a PDA to send a notable website to Toodledo doesn't give me the chance to change the formatting of the message. Couldn't this be changed?
That would be REALLY nice!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The problem is that when you click on the title of a task, Toodledo wouldn't know if you wanted to edit the title or to visit the link, so we can't make the link clickable because this would make the title uneditable. With a note, it is ok because you can edit a note by clicking elsewhere in the note.
wolfgang

Posted: Mar 16, 2010
This is sad and makes me use other task tools for this purpose. :-/
Qrystal

If the problem is that you'd like to easily browse the link from a computer, there are a few easy ways from within a web browser to get text links to easily bring you to the link locations.

In Google Chrome (which I describe first, because it's what I use) just highlight the link and drag it to a new tab.

There was a Firefox extension I used to use, but I can't find it in a quick search because there are so many others that have similar functionality.

In IE... no idea. sorry! :)
PeterW 

Posted by wolfgang:
This is sad and makes me use other task tools for this purpose. :-/

I send emails to Toodledo all the time, and if there is a link in the body of the email it ends up in the notes field and is easily clickable from there. If you want one-click access, simply toggle the notes field so they are all expanded and therefore the links will be visible.
wolfgang

Well, I am using a Palm Pre for browsing while being "on the road". When I stumble upon an interesting website I can send this via a button in the browser to an email address, such as my Toodledo address.

I get a new entry with the topic "Look at this website..." in the notes section I find "This is an interesting website: <link>"

And <link> should be a valid URL as it is when I do the same action with others task management tools. Unfortunately Toodledo makes plain text out of the URL... for whatever reason...
PeterW 

Wolfgang - urls should work in the notes field of Toodledo. Here is what it looks like for me:

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010.
wolfgang

Posted: Mar 17, 2010
you are basically right.
It must be the combination of the browser on the Palm Pre and the way Toddledo handles these things...

I do get correct links in Toodledo as well, when using other software.

And I do get correct links sending them via email from the Pre browser to other task management tools.

- life is not always easy - ;-)
Fred_Foote

Posted: May 10, 2010
When I get mail in Apple's Mail program, occasionally I'd like to turn that into a task. Let's say it's an email telling me about a web site I should visit. Well, when I FORWARD that email to my T'do email address, it works fine except that the link in the text of the original email is gone because it's been converted into plain txt.

Any advice?

UPDATE: Just tested another email and links in it worked fine. I think I need to rethink the type of email that didn't work for me before. It may have been more than simple text with links; it may have been some sort of html page or something. (I'm not savvy about this stuff.)

This message was edited May 10, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 13, 2010
If you send the emails as "Plain Text" it shouldn't be a problem. Apple Mail sometimes converts emails into funky HTML that causes the links to get messed up.
jims

Posted: Oct 14, 2010
Yes Toodledo doesn't handle HTML emails, which in the case is all my emails thanks to Lotus Notes. It displays the HTML code rather than rendering it.

Is there a way to render html emails?

Cheers
eauciel

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
Thanks Tootledo for the info about Apple Mail and Plain Text.
When I sent email from Apple Mail to Tootledo, My "Rich Text" subject was not being converted to a task.
Now my "plain text" email messages work OK
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.