ForumsQuestionsParent task fields calculated using subtasks

Parent task fields calculated using subtasks
magictorch

Posted: Mar 20, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I would like to see the option to calculate fields for parent tasks using the fields of its subtasks. I'll give a couple of examples:

DUE DATE
You could choose for the Due Date to be equal to the soonest of the incomplete subtask Due Dates (the deadline for next action), or the furthest away of the incomplete subtask Due Dates (the final deadline).

LENGTH
You could choose for this to be the total of the lengths of the incomplete subtasks. This would need to be accounted for when calculating the total length of flattened or indented lists of tasks so the lengths of tasks aren't duplicated though.

In my opinion this would by strengthen the relationship between parent tasks and subtasks (as steps toward completing the parent tasks), and make the Hidden view more useful.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 20, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
billga

Posted: May 08, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Please add my voice to the Toodledoers who want the parent tasks to be containers, and reflecting the priorities, est. time, and due dates of the contained tasks. Manual tallying and tracking of the subtasks is error prone, 'specially by me, and it's a task that computers are really good at... let the computer do the work!

I know you can't comment on the implementation date or details, but, soon please.
j2020

Posted: May 10, 2010
x2
melchizW

Posted: May 10, 2010
+1
jurgonh

Posted: May 13, 2010
+1
magictorch

Posted: May 25, 2010
I just wanted to add that, whilst still being a HUGE and very grateful fan of Toodledo, my Pro subscription has just expired and I won't be renewing it until the subtasks feature is made more powerful and more flexible.

Subtasks were the only real reason I upgraded to Pro but I'm not really missing them at the moment. I mainly used them to keep individual steps of larger tasks together, but this can still be achieved with saved searches or even just tags, even if it is slightly more cumbersome.

Once Toodledo has implemented these changes, and the changes suggested in this topic (http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/5009/0/parent-tasks-in-search-views.html), I'll be eagerly getting my wallet out again. Nested subtasks would also be the icing on the cake, though I know this request has been raised before and could be on the to-do list.

Thanks again for your continued support and updating of this great service - it's not really an exaggeration to say that Toodledo has changed my life, and I know I'll be using it for as long as it's around.
cgarness

Posted: May 25, 2010
I agree with this 100%. Subtasks really are kind of pointless if the only way you can properly sort them is in flattened mode. If that's the case why make subtasks at all?

Please give us the ability to sort parent tasks by the due date of their subtasks in hidden and indented views. It would make the pro subsciption a whole lot more compelling.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.