ForumsQuestionsHow to totally separate Business/Personal tasks?

How to totally separate Business/Personal tasks?
NoCatharsis

Posted: Apr 12, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I recently signed up for a Pro subscription on my personal account. Before that, I was using 1 account for my business-only items and 1 for my personal-only items.

Accordingly, I have separate e-mail addresses (as most people do) for both accounts, and totally different projects/goals, etc.

My question is if there is a best way to combine each set of tasks together into my new Pro subscription account, but to still keep everything separated?

I really wish I could set up a "sub-account" for my work which would display absolutely no information from my personal. This is because there are things on my personal task list that I would in no way want my employers to see if I accidentally left the window up (e.g. I am applying for jobs with other companies at the moment to "test the waters" and if someone at the office found out, I could be terminated or at least frowned upon).

I'm sure others can sympathize with this. Any ideas? Thank you.
Claudio

There are no "sub-accounts" or additional layers of password protection.

Toodledo offers "Contexts" for classifying your tasks as "Personal" or "Business", and you can use the Context filter in each view to hide personal tasks. It won't stop someone who really wants to find out, but it's not obvious how to make the personal tasks visible.

I wish I could provide you with a link to a Help topic that tells you how to do this but I realize that there isn't one. Let me know if you think that Contexts will do the job and I'll give you some more detailed instructions.
gallegux

I use one folder for each one. In the case that you have several folders for bussines or home I think that implementation of subfolders is the best solution.
Claudio

You can filter by Context in any view but you can't do that with Folders.

This is helpful if you view by Tags, Goals, Priority, Status, or Due Date.

BTW, there are no subfolders in Toodledo.
NoCatharsis

Well my implementation is somewhat like what I had read in one of the posts on here. I set my Folders to imitate what the Status dropdown does, except much more of a GTD-specific verbiage with Inbox, Actions, Projects, Waiting, Someday, Ticklers. In this way, I have no need for the Status field.

I use my contexts in the same way as Claudio describes, but since I'm only looking at "Work" context items during my workday, I am limited in my ability to set other contexts within my job as I otherwise might use (e.g. E-mail, Phone, Shop - I am a mechanical engineer so I spend probably 70% of my time at my computer and 30% in the fabrication shop).

I also started using Goals because these much better describe the project-based work I do. Since I am a Project Manager, I currently have 6 open projects with various job numbers. It works really well for me to set these as Goals instead of Folders because some of them really are short-term and long-term (Lifelong goals include things like getting my Professional Engineer license and starting my own engineering firm).

So my latest solution may be to start using tags for all of my work-related projects, then just separating them out with custom searches. I don't know if it's worth that much trouble though. Honestly, I'm overthinking this. That's kind of what I'm starting to love and hate at the same time about GTD (been doing it for a year now).
PeterW 

Posted: Apr 13, 2010
I use tags to separate business from personal tasks. I prefer to keep contexts for location-based filtering.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.