ForumsQuestionsWhere is the correct place to make suggestions?

Where is the correct place to make suggestions?
marphod

Posted: Apr 22, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm a new user, and I've got a number of suggestions to the site/interface I'd like to make. Is this forum the right one, or is there another?

(For instance, there is a "next", can we have a "prev" option in the forum page navigation? And can the topic of a thread be as large as/larger than the forum name when on a thread page? Although, I suspect the forum software is a third party package -- at least, I hope it is.)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, you can make suggestions here
marphod

Cool.

I'd like a check box that allows me to select several tasks at once, without doing the search/multi-edit trick.

I'd like a hover-over option to edit a task, that gives me all the options on the task, not just the ones visible at my current settings. Or, at least, the same form as you get when you 'add' a task.

Also, the hover-over would be nice to work anywhere over a task/todo, rather than just on the complete button.

I'd love if the check-to-complete box didn't look so much like a select box (which is how I think multi-edit is going to work, even if it isn't).

I'd like the ability to say "this is an appointment/meeting" and have the start time and length imply a due time. And a reminder before the start time, not the due time.

On the same vein, I'd like to specify if the alarm/reminder should be relative to the start time or the end time.

As mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see the ability to tell Toodledo what is more important to me, Due date, priority or starred.

I'd love to see a technical explanation why sort on 3 fields is pay-only, and on arbitrary number isn't available -- it is all in the SQL query, after all and you're not getting back that many lines.

I'd like my goals to be able to contribute to other goals in the same time frame. And contribute to multiple other goals. (e.g. My lifelong 'happiness' is influenced by my long term 'wedding' and 'having kids'. But 'having kids' is also dependent on my 'wedding'.)

I'd like the time parser to understand "midnight" and "noon". I'd also like the parser to understand "tomorrow at 5pm" means tomorrow in date and 5pm in time. (RTM spoiled me on this.)

I'd love to see the column headings as 'floating', remaining at the top of the page, even when I scroll down. (that might be doable with a userstyle.) The sidebar, too. And the Add a Task button.

If I don't have a pro account, I'd rather not be teased by the options in the sidebar.

Speaking of why, why is "Forums" in the same groups as the task/todo viewers -- it should be its own grouping.

That "Tools & Services" is a single link, but "folders & contexts" has 2 links is a non-parallel UI design, and should be discouraged.

I'd like to be able to set a default view (Importance, for me)

That's a start.
Transisto

I really like you suggestion and think they aren't request out of the ordinary.

I highly suggest not to get a pro account until you see "any" improvement that matter to you being done.

I paid few years ahead and I've been really disappointed by developer priorities

2 min yet important fixes, 2 years later... ?

This message was edited Apr 22, 2010.
Transisto

Posted: Apr 23, 2010
Posted by marphod:

Speaking of why, why is "Forums" in the same groups as the task/todo viewers -- it should be its own grouping.

That "Tools & Services" is a single link, but "folders & contexts" has 2 links is a non-parallel UI design, and should be discouraged.

LOL... Welcome to toodledo

This message was edited Apr 23, 2010.
marphod

Posted: Apr 23, 2010
Others:

A Due date of "Due After" or "Due On" with a time length should sync to calenders with the due time being the start time of the event (appointment), with the specified length, not the terminal time with the length before it. (please, please, please, dear gods, please. This is making integration with a calender useless for me.)

I'd love it if there were push/auto-reloads to the web client. (So, if I complete something using an "iPhone" (iPodTouch, in my case) client, or another machine, that it is reflected without me needing to hit reload.)

I'd be nice to separate the 3 different setting groups into different pages.

I'd be really happy if you had a DD-Mon-YYYY date format. (4 Apr 2010).

Why does my due dates change color, but not my start dates?
marphod

Posted: Apr 25, 2010
Repeating events that I've synced to google Calender are not marked as/considered repeating events, so the goggle labs "Fade repeating events" gadget doesn't fade them.
Jon_R

Posted by marphod:
Cool.

I'd like a check box that allows me to select several tasks at once, without doing the search/multi-edit trick.

I'd like a hover-over option to edit a task, that gives me all the options on the task, not just the ones visible at my current settings. Or, at least, the same form as you get when you 'add' a task.

Also, the hover-over would be nice to work anywhere over a task/todo, rather than just on the complete button.

This to me would be a pain in the butt to deal with. Anytime I hovered over a task get a full list to deal with? No thanks. And adding in a multi select would just clutter up main view - search/multi-edit is perfect for this.

I'd love if the check-to-complete box didn't look so much like a select box (which is how I think multi-edit is going to work, even if it isn't).

To me this currently makes perfect sense and does not remind me of a select box. As I just mentioned a select box for multi-select would clutter things up even more. It is great being able to just check things off - would be a step back to have a select box and then have to check another button to "complete" a task.

I'd like the ability to say "this is an appointment/meeting" and have the start time and length imply a due time. And a reminder before the start time, not the due time.

Calendar appointment instead of task?

I'd love to see a technical explanation why sort on 3 fields is pay-only, and on arbitrary number isn't available -- it is all in the SQL query, after all and you're not getting back that many lines.

Should not be a technical reason - assuming here the line has to be drawn somewhere for free vs. paid accounts and Toodledo choose 3 sort fields. Need more - upgrade to a Pro account.

If I don't have a pro account, I'd rather not be teased by the options in the sidebar.

Have to promote Pro accounts somehow. Not as obtrusive as the milk service though with their upgrade to pro on every page.

Just thought I would show how much different people have different requests and uses for Toodledo, and how some peoples requests/likes would be setbacks to other people.. It is impossible to meet everyone's feature requests.
marphod

Background -- While it isn't my current profession, I have rather extensive experience in commercial UIs. I'm not speaking without basis.

Posted by Jon_R:
{quote]
This to me would be a pain in the butt to deal with. Anytime I hovered over a task get a full list to deal with? No thanks. And adding in a multi select would just clutter up main view - search/multi-edit is perfect for this.
[/quote]

Uh, why are you hovering over tasks in general? There's a delay to the pop-up, so moving your pointer over the task shouldn't cause the hover to happen.

This is actually a fairly standard UI concept for context-specific items. Alternatively, with a click-hold or right click to open (although, the later would require flash or the like).

[quote]
To me this currently makes perfect sense and does not remind me of a select box.
[/quote]

You don't use gmail, do you?

Select box, star, text. For them, it is select box, star, and then the email content.

For remember the milk? Select box, task.

For facebook sends, select box, name.

The box is a little larger than a default web select box, and green. That's not enough of a UI clue that it has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT behavior. It would be infinitely better if used a different image.

[quote[
As I just mentioned a select box for multi-select would clutter things up even more. It is great being able to just check things off - would be a step back to have a select box and then have to check another button to "complete" a task.
[/quote]

I never suggested removing the completion mark. I love how that works, and it is significantly better than RTM check then complete button.
[quote]
Calendar appointment instead of task?
[/quote]

Yes, exactly.

If your suggestion is to use another tool to schedule my time, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid doing. I am trying to use a single tool to schedule my time. Making me use a second tool means I'll skip on TOodledo and move on to a tool that actually works.

[quote]
Should not be a technical reason - assuming here the line has to be drawn somewhere for free vs. paid accounts and Toodledo choose 3 sort fields. Need more - upgrade to a Pro account.
[/quote]

Sure, there need to be incentives to go to a pro account.
They include filespace, scheduler, sub-tasks, and a whole variety of value-adds. This is basic functionality.

[quote]
Have to promote Pro accounts somehow. Not as obtrusive as the milk service though with their upgrade to pro on every page.
[/quote]

Until you pointed it out, and after using RTM for over 18 months, I never really noticed that line at the bottom of the page.

It is unobtrusive, I'll accept that. It just isn't a clean UI.

[quote]
It is impossible to meet everyone's feature requests.[/quote]

There is finite time, and I realize they can't meet all my requests. On the other hand, it isn't going to stop me from asking, and making suggestions based on my experience at several companies and lots of UI work.
Jon_R

Posted by marphod:

You don't use gmail, do you?

Select box, star, text. For them, it is select box, star, and then the email content.

For remember the milk? Select box, task.

For facebook sends, select box, name.

The box is a little larger than a default web select box, and green. That's not enough of a UI clue that it has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT behavior. It would be infinitely better if used a different image.

I never suggested removing the completion mark. I love how that works, and it is significantly better than RTM check then complete button.

I do use gmail and think that the implementation they use to select multiple emails is perfect. I just do not think that the UI in Toodledo would make sense with two select boxes - one to complete a task and one for multi-select. What would it be - select box to mark a task done -> select box to multi-select -> text?

If your suggestion is to use another tool to schedule my time, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid doing. I am trying to use a single tool to schedule my time. Making me use a second tool means I'll skip on TOodledo and move on to a tool that actually works.

I guess I look at a task manager and a calendar as two separate things, so two different tools needed. Scheduling time for a calendar appointment and what to do as a task in a task manager.

There is finite time, and I realize they can't meet all my requests. On the other hand, it isn't going to stop me from asking, and making suggestions based on my experience at several companies and lots of UI work.

I would not ask you to stop making requests. They are the only way developers know what their users want. I simply wanted to point out that for every feature request someone makes, someone else has a different opinion and would prefer it another way.

I think if everyone looks at the feature requests over the last 6 - 12 months the majority of them boil down to one thing: UI overhaul. I am in that camp as well, but for the online task managers out there Toodledo is currently by far the most customizable and feature rich one at this time.
marphod

Posted by Jon_R:

I do use gmail and think that the implementation they use to select multiple emails is perfect. I just do not think that the UI in Toodledo would make sense with two select boxes - one to complete a task and one for multi-select. What would it be - select box to mark a task done -> select box to multi-select -> text?

They don't need to be next to each other; in fact, I'd probably put the select at the start of the line, and the complete mark at the end.
Even if I didn't, I wouldn't make the complete mark a checkbox. Most of my concepts are based on images (a red x for not done, green check for done, or unhappy face for incomplete, happy for complete. Or, simply text). One advantage of not having a simple selected or unselected box means that they could add an optional 'in progress' state.

I guess I look at a task manager and a calendar as two separate things, so two different tools needed. Scheduling time for a calendar appointment and what to do as a task in a task manager.

It may or may not be GTD (I've not read the book), but for me it all comes down to not wanting to use multiple time management tools. Calender items and Tasks have mostly the same data - names, notes, times, alarms, context/tags/folders/goals[1], priorities, repetitions, etc. (There are other items that could be included, such as locations and other involved people, but those aren't (yet) added to Toodledo, other than playing with tags.)

Timer is less relevant for meetings/events/appointments than tasks, but could be useful for tracking specific billable hours, or seeing if meetings run long or short. Of the Toodledo fields, only status doesn't apply to meetings. A calender might want a more specific Location and Other People fields, but I've always been able to manage with tags and notes.

[1] To me, these are all essentially the same thing.
The only advantage folders (usually) have over tags is hierarchy (but that doesn't exist here, and you can fake it with complex tag names).
Goals have the dependency tree, which tags don't (again, can fake it).
Contexts, as far as I can tell, don't have any advantage over tags, other than an automatic UI filter.
Transisto

Posted: Apr 26, 2010
Posted by marphod:
Posted by Jon_R:
(a red x for not done, green check for done, or unhappy face for incomplete, happy for complete. Or, simply text). One advantage of not having a simple selected or unselected box means that they could add an optional 'in progress' state.

It made me think of my gmail setup,

There is a plugin that allow you to have many more types of icons instead of the star, to change them you click repetitively on the star until you have the good one.

Also you can install the GTDInbox plugin for gmail, that integrate mail to self into a complete tasks manager,

If you set it up wisely it can be much more powerful and easier to use than Toodledo will ever be !!! (at this rate of improvement)..

think google calendar, ect...

This message was edited Apr 26, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 28, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.