ForumsQuestionsAdvice needed on setup

Advice needed on setup
PKJR

Posted: May 16, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I am not very experienced with TD hence this question. I have 40- 50 mini projects each with 1-5 tasks at any given time.
I am little bit perplex whether I should represent projects as folders or tasks w/subtasks

I will be sharing/assigning tasks to others as well, and it seems to me that folders are working better with sharing. Can I assign/share just one task with another user? or do I have to share a folder structure?

I would like to hear your opinion: should I go with folders or tasks/subtasks? what are the pros/cons?

Thank you
PKJR

Posted: May 17, 2010
bump - any takes?
Claudio

Subtasks provide you with one more level in the hierarchy of tasks, and this frees up Folders to be used for grouping related projects. Also, you can manually arrange the order of subtasks but you can't do that with "regular" tasks. But, it's a bit awkward to add the first subtask, or to create a Search that includes subtasks.

In Toodledo, the folders show up in the top menu, listed horizontally with as many as will fit on your screen, and the rest in a vertical list after you click on "More". This can be awkward if you have a lot of folders.

But, you can also sort your any list by Folder and then you can collapse and expand each project to get a nice overview.

You could also use Tags to group related projects, but Tags are not inherited when you add a new task to a Folder.

As for sharing, you can't share an individual task -- you can only assign it to someone else, but then it doesn't show up in your list of tasks.

Hope that helps.
PKJR

So once I assign/reassign a task - it's gone? and if so, is there a way to monitor progress?

This message was edited May 17, 2010.
Claudio

You can still view the assigned task but it won't show up in your lists (like Hotlist, or by Folders, Contexts, Tags). But, you can see it in Sharing list "From [Person]" or "From Anyone".

This message was edited May 17, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.