ForumsQuestionsFilters in folders

Filters in folders
andrewhzhang

Posted: May 25, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hi I was wondering if there was a way to have different filters for different folders. I am using Toodledo to implement GTD and so I have the folders Inbox, Next-Action, Projects, Someday/Maybe, and Projects. Of course there is also the default "All Tasks" folder which I find useful to see the overall picture of my tasks. The problem is that I like to hide my references and someday/maybe items by using the "-1" priority which effectively hides them if that filter is on. That's useful for when I'm in the All Tasks folder but annoying when I'm in the Reference or Someday/Maybe folders since I have to click two extra times to see the hidden items and then two clicks when I go back to any of the other folders. Is there any way I can have different filter settings for different folders? Thanks.
JCLATWORK

Hi Andrew,

It seems to me you could accomplish this with different saved searches. It might feel like you are creating too many folders, but searches are much more customizable than folders in my experience. You could, for example, create a saved search that is an all tasks folder, in effect, but which hides anything in the Reference or Someday/Maybe folders. It's an additional click into "view by: search", but it gives you a lot of control.

One of the great things about Toodledo is the ability to create one's one way of doing things, and for my part, I spend more time in my custom searches than in folder views, context views, etc. It took some time to think through, set up, and test, but now I can zero in on what I need to get done through the various searches, and I know they are filtered the way I need every time.

I hope this helps!
Claudio

Posted by andrewhzhang:
Is there any way I can have different filter settings for different folders? Thanks.
Each tab within a View has the same filter settings. So,if you are viewing by Folder, then each Folder tab has the same filters.

But, you can have different filters (and different sort orders) for views by Folders, Contexts, Status, Due-Date, Tag, and Priority.

For example, you could set your Status view to Show Negative Priority, and still keep your Folder view with Hide Negative Priority.

This message was edited May 25, 2010.
andrewhzhang

Posted: May 27, 2010
Thank you for your replies especially to Courtney. I have been playing around with the saved searches and like you said it is quite powerful with all the different rules.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.