ForumsQuestionsCollaboration and Sub-Tasks

Collaboration and Sub-Tasks
kevin.taylor

Posted: Sep 12, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
One of the best features of the Pro edition is the Sub-Task support, as many folks using the software quickly found out. Where I think it's maturation needs some helping-along is in the area of how this interfaces with collaboration. One of the greatest opportunities that sub-tasks create for collaboration users is the potential to have a big project on which several contributors need to pitch-in, but all toward the common end-result. Something along the lines of the ability to delegate/re-assign sub-tasks, but do so without losing it's association to it's parent (even if in another user's account - e.g. IT Mgr creates (and keeps in his "IT Projects" Folder) the "Deploy new application server" project, and delegates/re-assigns the "provision box" sub-task to a sysadmin, "install/config software" task to a systems engineer, and "user testing" task to a help desk analyst).

Now, you can do this, but it loses the concept of being part of a larger effort as soon as a task is re-assigned, and as such, there's no way to get an overall status for the project without opening the views for all of the collaborators, remembering the name of the tasks assigned to each of them, and pulling the status back together by-hand. In short, the benefits of sub-tasks aren't really available to collaboration users...

Yes, I believe the much-requested "Shared Folder" capability might bring this functional value along for the ride, but I also think it can be done in a way more respectful to the current collaboration model if tasks had the capability to refer to both local tasks and tasks in other users's accounts as well.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 12, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.